Home Buying in East Atlanta>Question Details

Abena Langfo…, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

Spending a weekend in Atl soon to tour properties and neighborhoods. Which hotels are best to be close to areas with excellent school districts?

Asked by Abena Langford, Brooklyn, NY Mon Apr 16, 2012

Answers

6
Beppy Walton’s answer
Hello Ms.Langford, thank you for your inquiry. The excellent school districts would relate to what your childrens' ages might be? Most likely, you'll want a hotel in Cobb county and/or Fulton county.

Are you currently working w/a realtor? If not, I would be pleased to assist you if you would like to email and/or call the contact info below. I work a lot w/buyers and families relocating into Atlanta. Coincidentally, my niece lived in Brooklyn for the last three years and is in the process of relocating
to Savannah ...

I look forward to your reply and to possibly helping you.

Thank You!

Sincerely

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton
C/404 234 9418
beppyswalton@gmail.com
http://www.beppyshomes.com
Have you checked the geographic area that encompasses metro Atlanta?

Look on a map and you will find an enormous land area with a complex transportation system. No one can see "Atlanta" neighborhoods in one weekend. In fact, I have lived here most of my adult life and see new neighborhoods almost every week.

Focus on a smaller "bite" of the Atlanta neighborhoods. Consider your work commute, community interests and yes, schools.

Every agent on this forum has a "home" base and will rightly promote their neighborhoods as the best in Atlanta.

Good luck and good hunting.

Sally English
Atlanta is notorious for traffic and commute times. The metro area is perhaps 100 miles by 100 miles. Where you will be commuting is critical to where you should consider living. There are a variety of sources to evaluate schools, typically the higher the income and more expensive the price the better the schools. You price range limits your location. As an example Walton HS in East Cobb is considered a top school. There were only 85 sales in 2012, the lowest price was 148000 and average price 462900 for on and average 25 year old home. What you can afford and where you need to be are the primary constraints, then find the best school that has those criteria. Post those parameters and you can get meaningful advice.

With that said, often the school with the top scores is not the best fit for your child's interest. Visiting the school, learning about it's culture and specialties, understanding philosophy and standards and ability for parents to communicate with the teachers and administration when issues present themselves is different in each school. Look beyond test scores for a successful educational experience.
What is your hotel budget per night?

What hotel does your agent recommend?

What are the most important things that you seek when you move to Atlanta?

How are those different from the most important things that you seek from your Brooklyn neighborhood?

How do you define excellent school district?

What is your real estate purchase budget?
Hello Abena,

Have you met with a Realtor yet? Comming to Atlanta to look at homes without the expert guidance of a realtor is like going to NYC for a weekend to look at homes in the five burroughs, and parts of NJ, Long Island and Connecticut without a Realtor; an enourmous undertaking. There are many parts of metro Atlanta with great schools, but they are very spread out.

I urge you to find a Realtor first, narrow down where you want to look, select some specific homes you want to see, then get hotel and plane reservations.

Since Schools are important to you, start your research online, I like schooldigger.com. Talk to friends, coworkers, and anyone else you know who is familiar with Atlanta to get suggestions. Some will fit what you need, some will not. Your Realtor can help focus your search.

I will be glad to talk with you on the phone to help focus your search, and refer you to someone if you choose to look outside my area of expertise. Call me at 404-425-4945.
Hi Abena,

It would be hard to stay in a hotel that is close to the best school districts. There are many all around. Some of the best school districts are the schools in the Morningside area of town, the Grant Park Charter School is great for elementary schooling, and Oakhurst in Decatur has great schooling. That is only a very small list of areas.
Where are you looking to move in the future?
I would also recommend checking out http://www.greatschools.org. Its a great site that could help give you insight on what schools to choose from. Overall you need to pinpoint where you would like to live to make a great choice. You should have your REALTOR take you on of not just a tour of homes but the city in general. If you do not have one yet I would be happy to show you around.

Tyler Willis, REALTOR®
Keller Williams Realty Intown Atlanta
(678)656-5524