Home Buying in Driftwood>Question Details

Rose, Home Buyer in Driftwood, TX

Sounds like the HOA is a real problem in La Ventana (Driftwood, TX) with lawsuits etc. Looking to buy there, but don't want those problems...

Asked by Rose, Driftwood, TX Sun Dec 18, 2011

Had to do with homeowners rights to drill own water well & gas line. We don't want to take on these headaches and additional expenses as a new home owners there. Any updated info on this or advice?

Answers

8
Here are the facts: there was a lawsuit filed against the previous developer and the ROA. It was over the right to drill a private water well but more having to do with the fact that the developer had contracted Sonterra to provide propane to a central delivery tank. Some residents felt the rates charged by Sonterra were too high. As a person who purchased after the suit was filed (neither the former home owner or my realtor disclosed this btw). The cost of legal fees is paid for like they are in any HOA in the state of Texas, by an insurance policy that covers the ROA/HOA. Since this time, the former developer was foreclosed upon and a new developer has purchased La Ventana. A new water well was drilled and even in last years horrible drought, we had water. We were on outdoor water restrictions just like the rest of the state of Texas, but we had water. End of story.
Don't buy.

I don't know the details of the lawsuit (and I'm not sure others here do, either). But that isn't the issue. The issue is that there appear to be problems--you've described those briefly. And you say "We don't want to take on these headaches and additional expenses as a new home owner."

If you don't want to take them on, then don't buy there. If you buy there, you'll be a homeowner and, thus, a member of the HOA. And that means you're taking those problems on.

Work with a local Realtor to find other properties that'll meet your needs.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
I love how the totally uninformed jump on and give an answer. Here are the facts: there was a lawsuit filed against the previous developer and the ROA. It was over the right to drill a private water well but more having to do with the fact that the developer had contracted Sonterra to provide propane to a central delivery tank. Some residents felt the rates charged by Sonterra were too high. As a person who purchased after the suit was filed (neither the former home owner or my realtor disclosed this btw). The cost of legal fees is paid for like they are in any HOA in the state of Texas, by an insurance policy that covers the ROA/HOA. Since this time, the former developer was foreclosed upon and a new developer has purchased La Ventana. A new water well was drilled and even in last years horrible drought, we had water. We were on outdoor water restrictions just like the rest of the state of Texas, but we had water. End of story.
Flag Mon Jul 2, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Do you know for a fact about the lawsuits or is it just hear say . Have you read what the petitions were about ? Many times rumors start without all the facts

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
Lynn is the voice of reason. I am a resident since 2007. We did not know about the lawsuit prior to buying - so much for disclosures by owner and realtor. The 2005 lawsuit stems from the fact that some home owners had asked for and received rights to drill their own wells from the HOA Board. Then the Board re-neged. A couple of home owners' sued. Flash forward: a new developer took over La Ventana, a new well is in place and we have not had any water issues since. Even during last years horrible drought (which we are still not out of might I add) we had water. I did read about nearby homeowners in other communities who's wells ran dry who had to truck water in. That wasn't us. Regardless - had we known about the suit, we might have stayed away - and that would have been our loss. It is peaceful, serene. We ride our bikes for 13 miles a day and seldom encounter another car. We have a mini building boom going on with 8 new homes either sold or under contract.
Flag Tue Jun 26, 2012
y'all please note these comments are so old! it is now September, 2013.... thank you Cokajewelry for stating the facts of the lawsuits. La Ventana is a BEAUTIFUL community to live in!!!! great neighbors and most of the homes are custom built..... (higher quality construction than nearby neighborhoods) because they are not spec built. if you want more updated info , call the president of the HOA .... or read the website....
current resident....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
I have lived in La Ventana since fall 2008. I feel like I have died and gone to heaven. The HOA lawsiut is moving downstream. The HOA dues are low, and water is cheap and available. Beats Austin (ugh) any day of the week.
The issues with La Ventana came when homeowner's wanted to drill their own wells for irrigation purposes. The community has a well and at one time, only one storage tank. As the subdivision expanded, there were some water supply issues and per the deed restriction, residents had the right to drill their own wells. Now there are two storage tanks and plenty of water for residents to use. However, if residents had their own wels, they wouldn't have to observe watering restrictions that are prevalent all over Central TX. The HOA (which are the property owners in La Ventana) wanted to make sure that there was plenty of water for normal living for everyone. Individual wells would have stressed the water supply.
Hope this was helpful.
Individual wells would NOT affect the local water supply--period.
Flag Wed Nov 7, 2012
Rose,
There are lots of nice communities around La Ventana that have a better Rep. Every HOA has its own Rules and bylaws. Check their website: http://ventanahoa.net/

Google the web for lawsuites and pertinant information concerning the subdivision. One of my clients was going to buy there and decided to buy next door instead.
The driftwood area offers a variety of beautiful subdivisions, including La Vantana to choose from. If you are not already actively looking in the area with the Help of a Realtor I am always available.

I hope this helps.
Albert Elhage, Broker
(512) 971-1773
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
None of the developments in Driftwood are as nice as La Ventana. We looked at them all. None come close. The only negative to La Ventana is that there are 3 school districts serving the neighborhood depending on which street you live on. That's crazy, but I don't have kids.
Flag Mon Jul 2, 2012
If you buy the problems will be yours, Beware. Find a local Realtor to help advise you here http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/Driftwood-broker--12283