Ramy, Home Buyer in El Dorado Hills, CA

Some time ago I read about the soil in the EDH containing cancerous agents and was not very safe to live there. What is the status of the issue?

Asked by Ramy, El Dorado Hills, CA Mon Jun 4, 2012

Answers

4
The asbestos in serpentine rocks can be released into the air by driving over them. they should not be used for driveways, walkways or any new landscaping. If they are already in the dirt, just leave them there.
Builders have to take special precautions when preparing lots for building.
Writing that is not safe to live there is alarmist, and an exaggeration. If you find a house that has an serpentine rock gravel driveway, don't buy it. I doubt if you could still find one with a serpentine rock gravel driveway, though. I haven't seen one in years. The few that had them have mostly all been paved over.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Roseville, CA
Hi Ramy,
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral found through CA and the world. We happen to have a higher percentage of it in El Dorado Hills, because it is found in the rock Serpentinite, which is extremely common in El Dorado County.

Touching it does not hurt us. It's only harmful if it's inhaled. Asbestos was commonly used in insulation, but is now outlawed, after they figured out it was causing mesothelioma.

Your main concern when moving to El Dorado County is going to be the way the landscaping is done. Precautions need to be taken when grinding up the dirt and rocks.

El Dorado Hills is a lovely community, and has taken the necessary precautions to protect it's citizens. If you have more questions about the area, I'd love to help.

Happy house hunting!
Morgan Larson
916-241-8788
morgan@morganlarson.com
I would start with El Dorado County and see what they know....perhaps the Environmental Management Department?

http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/EMD/

Hi Ramy,

The issue regarding the naturally occuring asbestos in El Dorado Hills can be best explained in this link http://www.epa.gov/region9/toxic/noa/eldorado/ - Please let me know if you need further information. All the best, Chris Librach