Home Buying in Rio Rico>Question Details

Art Petersen, Both Buyer and Seller in 85648

Some listing show the sq feet but in some instances the square feet shown includes the garage. Why not show the living sq feet and the garage sq ft?

Asked by Art Petersen, 85648 Sun Jun 13, 2010

It is misleading when Realtors show sq footage w/o clarifying. .

Answers

5
Donna R. Beedy’s answer
In our MLS we have the option to input the heated/cooling sq ft and also the garage sq ft but they are separate fields which I think is a nice feature so the buyer has all the information on the property. But it is up to the Realtor to input both fields in and the heating/cooling field is required and not garage.
Brad, Tim and Juli, thank you for the input. I have been looking in Southern Az and it seems some Realtors don't bother to determine the heated/living area separate from the garage. I believe on occasion some garages are heated so the living area sq footage would be more definitive. I would think the Board of Realtors ethics guidelines might recommend that approach. Misleading listings on Trulia or other websites do not reflect in a positive manner y on the Real Estate profession. I realize most Realtors have accurate listings but the few that don't muddy the waters.
That would be great if we had garage.. I don't know of any property listing that combines the garage and living sq ft. Not sure where you’re looking but most will be just heated and cooled living area. (Taxable area)
Web Reference: http://bradbergamini.com
In California only the living space square footage is allowed. It is the only way to compare apples to apples.
Web Reference: http://www.markandtim.com
Technically, the only square footage that should be shown for a house is heated, living square footage. This should not include the garage. It is misleading to buyers when garage square footage is added in as this makes a price per square foot look more advantageous.