Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Emma, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

Sold our home in Sellwood area, looking for a larger house and lot. Need to balance access to downtown and airport area (work) and Beaverton (family)

Asked by Emma, Portland, OR Mon Apr 12, 2010

We love the Sellwood area and all it has close by, but not necessarily the small rooms in the houses, small lots, etc. Would love a larger lot, and house with more room. Have looked on our own from West Linn to Happy Valley - still ???. Any suggestions on good areas with decent sized houses and lots, not involving a commute on 26 to downtown. Oh and maybe a view (or at least a nice yard) for around 400? Is that asking too much??

Answers

10
Hi, Rigby,
We live in SW Portland (near Multnomah Village) in a very quiet and established neighborhood. Our house (2000+ sq foot on a 1/4 acre lot is on the market). It is a 4 bedroom house with beautiful views of the West Hills + a lovely sunroom and a fully renovated kitchen. You can certainly check it out. Our MLS# is 10023890. Please stop by if you wanted to take a peak at it.

Reshmi

(also to the many agents on this list please keep bring a buyer to see our lovely home.
It really depends on how big "larger" is. SW Portland near Stephenson Elementary might be the answer. As a suburban area, the houses and lots are bigger and prices have remained supressed. However, you will likely miss out on walkability if that is important to you. I also like Hillsdale & Multnomah and can think of a couple of properties that would be good candidates. The devil is in the details and a good agent can help sort that out. Call if you need some help:)
Rigby,

I actually have a pocket listing of a home in Sellwood that meets your descritption. They aren't quite ready to put it oficially on the market yet because they don't want to sell until school is out, but that is coming soon. If you will call me I would be happy to tell you about it and arrange for a showing.

Beth Hotchkin (360) 607-3915
Web Reference: http://www.ExpectMoreRE.com
Rigby,

No you are not asking too much! There are alot of really great properties out there that should fit your needs.
Since your looking for larger rooms and a larger lot I would suggest looking at properties built prior to 1995 and/or looking at rural properties just outside of town. I would be happy to put a list together for you. Please let me know exactly what your wants and needs are and I will get you over a list. Please contact me at 503-887-5323 or waite-david@msn.com.
David Waite
John L. Scott Market Center
http://www.johnlscott.com/davidwa
Hi, Rigby

I agree ithat Sellwood is a amazing area. I love this area, the only downside is that most of the homes have smaller Sq. Footage. and smaller yards.

You seem frustrated in your search and I can understand why... Your needs are not being met with what you are looking at.

You can definately find a larger home ranging from 2-4000 sq ft , with the bells and whistles and a yard
from 5K to 10K, many back to green spaces in Happy Valley and Clackamas. This is a wonderful area for familys and within minutes to the 205.

I would be happy to help you find your dream home in Portland or Clackamas.

I wish you the best in your search!

Kimberly Kinville, Realtor
East Metro Specialist
503.841.0888
There are many great neighborhoods that will achieve your goal here, but no doubt there are other things you are looking for in a home. A skilled Realtor can help to identify key properties both on and off the market. As crazy as it sounds, in the end, I find most of my buyers walk into a home and somehow they and the home just know they are meant for each other. Sometimes it doesn't even have the "thing" they were looking for. As an Accredited Buyers Agent we help people work through this search to find the perfect place to call home.

You might also want to try out a great phone application that will help to identify homes in any neighborhood you might find yourself. Feel free to download it by texting pdxrelo to 87778. I am here to help!
You need to be more specific. What might be small rooms and small lots to you, might be big to someone else.

Most city lots are 50x100, is that big or small?
Sorry you didn't get the answers yet. Somehow I missed your question. I've got answers!

Along the Willamette river down towards Gladstone on the east side and closer up and in there are large lots - even full acre lots for good prices (400k)! It is an easy commute up MLK/99 into downtown. Another great way to sneak into downtown and get some good land are a few choice locations in 97219, hard to find, but I know where they are. This would be SW - again hugging and traveling down the Willamette River. You can get some amazing housing in St John's and be close into downtown - a few large lots left up there - but it is sort of a mixed area, up and coming.

I really know what your looking for.

Contact me directly for additional information.
Stephen Fitzmaurice, Realtor
503-975-6853
Rigby,

There should be plenty of options out there in SW Portland. You can avoid the main roads ti get downtown if you are relatively close. Hillsdale, Burlingame are a couple of areas that come to mind. However, it all depends on how big of a lot you need, and what size home you need. Type in some parameters on the following website and have a look.
Since no local answers yet--any agent can help you, contact any realty office(s) and inquire or contact any local Trulia contributor(s) directly and ask.