Home Buying in Folsom>Question Details

Neeam, Other/Just Looking in 85249

Sitting area in master bedroom converted to bedroom

Asked by Neeam, 85249 Wed Sep 4, 2013

Hi all: Sitting in master bedroom converted to bedroom as per seller disclosure. Seller says extra sitting space was not needed. It was an option in the floor as disclosed by the seller. Now how do I confirm that.
No permit was obtained for this.

Is this common this? This is really making me nervous. County records as 4 bed room and now it has an extra room.

Please guide me on this? What should I ask and check ?

Answers

6
Tom Pellegrini’s answer
Check the tax records, or have a realtor do this for you. If there is a discrepancy between the tax record and the sellers disclosures, confirm the tax records at the assessor office AND the local building department. If an additional room was added to the tax record, it will trigger a re-assessment of the property, to tax the additional value of the structure, and will require a building permit to be issued by the local building department. Generally, all bedrooms will need to include a window to the exterior of the building, and a closet.
Does the home fit your needs? I doubt that the police are going to break down your door and make you remove a wall if you buy this house. The seller was honest and disclosed the fact that un-permitted work was done. Was the work done to a professional standard or does it look like it will fall down?

Get a bid for converting the room back to original condition. That will be your future risk going forward.

This kind of thing happens all of the time. At least your seller was honest and disclosed to you.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
Hi J.R. Thrasher:
I liked your answer :) plus I looked up the plan. It says master retreat/bedroom 4. Which means this bed room 4 was allowed provision. A wall and door was put in. So this was allowed provision and does not
change the SQ FT of the home.. Now given this what else I can look to make sure all is good?

Thanks in advance..
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
I agree with Arpad. Also keep in mind that unless a bedroom has a permit, appraisers will not count it as a bedroom or add a bedroom's worth of value to the property.
It is very common for sellers, and sometimes their agents, to call a converted space a bedroom. They might say it qualifies because it has a closet or a door, but that is never true. Regardless of the room's design or construction it is never a bedroom until a permit is issued.
This is common, Tax assessor records may may not show it, if you have the name of the builder, you maybe able to ask for the original blueprints. You can have an inspector check it out and see if a permit is needed for such work. Look at the property history to see if the area is the same historically.
I'm not sure a permit is required to put a wall up. Permits are to address 'health and safety' . So if the wall were to block access to the outside (such as the wall would create a room with no window) it would be in violation but you don't have to get a permit for every change in a house, only certain ones.

If you can find who the original builder is then maybe there was an option to have this as a fifth bedroom in their original plans. I might check with the neighbors, or maybe the planning department if any floor plans are available within that neighborhood. Depending on how long ago the homes were built would make a difference in whether the plans existed but it's a quick trip to the city of Folsom to check it out.

And as for the tax record not matching the actual home built? That's really common. You can contact the city/county and find ways to get that corrected in the records. Sometimes it makes a difference on the value assigned to the home so it's often worth doing.
Sure, thanks for your detailed reply. In the builder plan it was master retreat/Bedroom4. Once I saw the plan, I felt it was ok. It was an permissible plan. I'll hold onto the plan to be able to explain later. Thanks again and it helped!!
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013

Perhaps have a Local contractor take a look at it, ask them hoe much would it cost to put it back to the previous condition, and if it is possible to get a permit for it the way it is now, and the cost associated with that.

Given these two costs, you may be able to calibrate your decision easier.

Arpad
Hi: I looked up the plan. It says master retreat/bedroom 4. Which means this bed room 4 was allowed provision. A wall and door was put in.
However county tax still has it 4 bed. What issues I can still run into ..
and what should I check going into inspection. Thanks!
Flag Wed Sep 4, 2013