Home Buying in Midtown>Question Details

Sjc, Home Buyer in Midtown, Atlanta, GA

Single mom with 3 young children relocating back to the US after 12 years abroad. Area recommendations

Asked by Sjc, Midtown, Atlanta, GA Tue Jun 23, 2009

Good schools, public not necessarily private, close to a park and activities for kids and other families.

Answers

6
David Herren’s answer
Dear SJC,

The good news is that you have lots of great options, the bad news is that you have to choose. Start thinking about how much you can afford, and what life style and quality of life you want. Call me at 404-425-4945, I can help step you throught the decision process.
Are you looking for a downtown or metropolitan location, Sjc? My family grew up in Gwinnett County, attending in both the Parkview & Brookwood school districts, and we thought the public schools were excellent. Where you may be commuting to and from has a huge difference on the quality of one's life, in my humble opinion. Here are a couple of listings in different price ranges, one in the Brookwood and one in the Grayson school district, for your perusal. Please call or email if I may help and Good Luck!

http://www.trulia.com/property/1076380406-440-Bay-Grove-Rd-L…

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 23, 2009
Dear Mom:

There are plenty of opportunities to meet your desired needs in Atlanta and the surrounding Metro Area. In recommending a specific area I would need further info in regard to price, size, style, and age of homes you would consider. Also whether you plan to work out of your home or have a desired proximity of your new home to your place of work. Then we could narrow down the parameters of what is a good fit for you and your three young children.

If you would like to discuss this move further please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience at 678-578-2788 or via email at chuckgreen@kw.com. I look forward to hearing from you to determine your needs,wants, and desires.

Chuck Green, Realtor
serving your realty needs since 1984
We have 3 young children (not yet in school) and live in a condo in Midtown, Atlanta. My husband and I moved here several years ago and, 3 kids later, can't get ourselves to move away. We love it here. We walk everywhere, and there are many child-friendly places nearby. Piedmont Park has 2 playgrounds and a newly opened outdoor swimming pool, which has a convenient "beach entry" for little ones. There are also a couple nice playgrounds in Ansley Park, which usually aren't as crowded. The Peachtree Branch public library has wonderful programs for children. The High Museum of Art hosts "toddler Thursday" every week and family day every second Sunday of the month. The Atlanta Botanical Garden also has a wonderful, small children's garden and weekly storytime. There are many restaurants in walking distance as well. Midtown was just "re-districted" within the Atlanta Public School system due to overcrowding at Morningside Elementary. Midtown and adjacent Virginia Highlands will now feed into a new elementary school located on Ponce de Leon Avenue which opens in fall 2009. It remains to be seen if this new school will be as reputable as Morningside Elementary. The drawback to living in Midtown with a family is that there aren't many of us here. Your children will most likely not be able to simply drop by the neighbor's house to play with their kids. And even with a soft real estate market, homes in the area are still quite pricey. Good luck with your decision!
Fortunately, Atlanta offers a lot of options.

Your desired housing characteristics and price range will help determine the general areas of metropolitan Atlanta that could provide housing possibilities that work for you. Then, once those areas are identified, you narrow your target by investigating schools, proximity to work, parks, etc.

All of us who live in or grew up in a specific area of town love that area. But this is about what you feel is best for you and your family.

If we can help, please do not hesitate to call.

Scott Askew
President CRB CRS
Askew Realty & Fourteen West, REALTORS
3rd generation Atlantan
The items you are asking for in good schools, parks and activities honestly would lead you to somewhere on the north side of Atlanta. In north Fulton, Gwinnett, and Cobb there are tons of homes that would fit in those needs. The questions that I would have is what is your price range, housing needs in terms of bedrooms and such and where in Atlanta will you be working. Once I, or any other realtor, has that information, I can narrow down area choices. Also a determining factor is how close to downtown Atlanta do you want to be. If it is a big item or little that determines location. The one thing that is for sure throughout the northside of Atlanta and inside the Perimeter there is a home in almost any price range that will fit your needs. If you like please email me at dmceachern@kw.com or call at 404-406-0638 and I would be glad to help you.

David McEachern