Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Nick V, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Single family home in San Ramon - Westside or Bridges

Asked by Nick V, San Ramon, CA Mon May 20, 2013

We're confused about buying a property in Westside or Bridges areas of San Ramon. Our budget is upto $1.25M. We like the Westside houses with bigger lots, but the Bridges schools are newer and have somewhat higher APIs. Do the slightly higher APIs and the newer schools make a difference in the education our kids will get? Any suggestions highly appreciated.

Answers

6
Hi Nick. While API scores are helpful, they must be taken with a grain of salt. Success in schools is a function of the the resources of the school AND the motivation of the student. If your kids are motivated and supported by the parents, they will thrive in any of the San Ramon schools regardless of API scores. In my opinion, incremental differences in API scores are not a significant factor in how your child will do.

BTW, you can search for homes by school boundary on 680homes.com by going here:

http://www.680homes.com/real-estate-search/school-boundary/

You can search by neighborhood in San Ramon by going here:

http://www.680homes.com/San-Ramon-real-estate/neighborhoods/

Happy Hunting

Doug Buenz
The 680 Group at Alain Pinel Realtors
(925) 463-2000
Thanks everyone. Your comments were quite helpful.
I live in Gale Ranch, and I can tell you that compared to the west side, Gale Ranch and Windemere can feel cramped. The current trend seems to be smaller homes/smaller lots, but by the time you're ready to resell, the trend could be back to larger homes and larger lots.

What does your gut tell you? To which type home does your family tend to navigate? I don't think the API scores are enough to make a difference in the quality of education your kids will get. Go with what feels right!
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Nick V:

Consider yourselves fortunate that you have such a choice!! Personally, I would go with the home you like, the bigger lots, and support your children with love, attention, and guidance. All the schools in San Ramon and Danville provide an excellent education, provided the family supports education at home. It is amazing how well children can learn, thrive, and be happy without a fancy new building or compete against the highest API scores. Children thrive with fresh air (the bigger lot!) and overall stimulation! To date, I haven't seen any studies suggesting that a high API score equals life happiness / success / or better contributors to society.

Enjoy!

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors
925-998-1284
sblaze@apr.com
#01856137
Hi Nick V,

Go Westside; you said it yourself, "We like the Westside houses with bigger lots..."

I'm not downgrading the slightly higher APIs you mentioned; however, your parental guidance is more important than an annual averaged group API score or shinny brand new equipment. I imagine you want a well-rounded multi-faceted child or teen – not just one who scores well on tests….?

Things not working out ….. As David offered, you do have an option of intra-district transfer; see: In addition, as can be seen at the San Ramon Valley USD website below:
http://www.srvusd.net/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1…

-Steve
The SRVUSD district allows for you to go to any school in the district as long as it is not oversubscribed. If you are dying to get your child into a particular school you can apply to have your children go to those schools. If you liked the Weststide more and wanted to have your kid at a particular school on the other side of town, you can apply to have your child go there. You could also start them on the Westside schools and then move them if you found the curriculum lacking.

Your life tends to gravitate around the schools that your children go to. If you put your child in a Danville elementary school and live in San Ramon, you will be driving your child to the events and friends houses that revolve around that school.

My family and I live on the Westside and do enjoy our larger lot size, but the trade off is the age of the home. We don't have a modern floorplan with massive bathrooms and closets that the Bridges would offer.

I hope that is helpful.