Home Buying in Cumming>Question Details

Rockiee80, Home Buyer in Cumming, GA

Single Family Home in Cumming , Would you suggest buying this?

Asked by Rockiee80, Cumming, GA Mon Oct 5, 2009

I'm a First time home buyer and was looking at homes in Cumming,GA and i recently looked at John Thomas homes at Big Creek Township as its near to 400 highway .The home is priced at 240k and i was wondering if that area is really that worth for the money. What do you suggest, should i consider this home? Is it a good area to make a investment and also is it a fair price. Do let me know your thoughts

Here are the home Details

Rockiee80 -
Welcome to Trulia! I'm sure you will get some great answers from other local pros here - I'll give you my two cents...

I am familiar with the neighborhood and actually showed properties there to a buyer 2 weeks ago.
It's hard to say if $240 without knowing what floor plan, upgrades, lot and other features of the home.
It's in the right ballpark at least.

As far as the area, it's certainly a good area - good schools, lower taxes and proximity to 400 is a major plus as you noted. Your purchase price and type of property should always be considered relative to your "exit strategy." If you know you will stay for 5 years or more, you're probably better off than if a job transfer or relocation prior to that is a possibility, You don't want to have to compete with the builder still having inventory when you go to resell.

Also, it's important that you should know that you might not get as many Realtors to answer here. If you have already been to the property without an agent, the builders generally frown upon you showing back up and saying, "by the way, here's my agent." Not to say it's not possible...

Generally speaking, you can get some good deals on new construction, but bear in mind that there's lots of new construction (and room for more) in that area as opposed to an area such as North Fulton county where there's not a lot of residential land available. Again, Big Creek's proximity to 400 does probably give it something unique as opposed to a lot of the other places off of Post Road and other locations in Cumming.

One other thing to note in buying new construction - I wouldn't buy in any neighborhood that's less than 50% complete and I wouldn't buy anywhere that the amenities are not built yet.

Best of luck to you!

RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
404 966 3247
Web Reference: http://www.leeadkins.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 5, 2009
Hi Rockiee80,

First of all congrats on your decision to buy your first home! Now IS the time and the tax credit clock is ticking! I would recommend you obtain representation using a Realtor to assist you during the process, I would be happy to help you, or point you toward someone that I know will represent you well. There are CMA's involved in deciding on what to offer, are you already working with a lender? I would be happy to point you in that direction as well if you need. Utilizing a lender as a buyer's agent (agent costs you nothing and they are on YOUR side) is key!
Please advise if I can be of further assistance.

Warm Regards,
Tori Lawson
Prudential GA Realty
Web Reference: http://www.ToriLawson.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 5, 2009
I wouldn't consider new construction at this point in the market.

There are still just too many great deals out there to pad your investment against further decline.
All good anwsers. My office is about 5 minutes from Big Creek Township. Research the agents web site and meet with them..... if you want to keep asking questions on Trulia.... that is not going to get you what you are looking for....... someone that can help you get the best deal on a home you can feel good about.

Best of luck. http://www.ExpectMoreNow.com
Hi Rockiee80,

You've heard everyone else say it, but it's true.... use a Realtor! They know the market. I live in and work in South Forsyth. That community was originally built by Beazer. There are two sides to it so I can't comment on price point without knowing more about the house. The area is worth the money, yes. South Forsyth is still the best value around in my opinion. I agree with Lee in regards to schools, etc. I'll disagree with one of my other associates in saying buying new construction in the area is actually increasing again. In fact, Pulte just bought out a community off of Old Atlanta. That tells you that they have faith that new construction is coming back. They are almost sold out in their other community, Nichols Landing. That's a nice community in that price point too. In fact, we have a resale in there that is only 2 years old for $225k. That community goes to the new highschool too, Lambert, which is a draw now. It is a little further off of GA 400 but you can take back roads- Old Atlanta to Brannon to cut over to exit 13. You have to watch Bethelview on the west side of the highway. Since they aren't expanding that side of the road yet, it does get pretty backed up at peak times. Nichols may take about the same amount of time to get to and it's already built out so you don't have to worry about having another builder take over. What if John Thomas pulls out too? Hank is right in that that community has not done as well lately. Some buyers don't like how close the homes are to each other, especially as you go in to the left.

Lots to think about. There are always pros and cons. There are some good resales out there too. My partner sees even more because that's all she does is help buyers.

Check out our listing and let me know what you think. I think you'll find it is more house for the money. She's got it decorated so cute and it already has a fenced backyard.

Nichols landing home... http://www.sherryandmariateam.com/250hammersmith

Best of luck in your search. Let us know if we can help!

Sherry Ajluni 678-283-1710
Maria Livingston 678-548-5513
I'd go real slow dealing with anything new up the 400 corridor, it will take years for that inventory to reach level ground and that community isn't exactly lighting the world on fire at the 240+ range. You're buying a depreciating asset, especially worrisome with the amount of new homes collecting dust.

What does your agent say?

As Lee said it is hard to tell until we actually see the home in person to give any concrete information. If you already have an agent rely on them to give you the information you require. If not then hire one to be your advocate who will contact the respective builder agent and lay down the groundwork for your represenation. Be aware the the onsite agent works for the builder and looks out for the builders interest not yours. Once the groundwork has been completed for your representation then get into what the subdivision has to offer you over the long term in regard to anticipated completion of the subdivision and it's amenties.If that is within your needs, wants, and desires then compare apple to apple homes to see if the price you are considering and being offered is a good deal, one you can live with so that you will be able to build equity for the eventual resale of the home.
Hope this helps...Good Luck!!

Chuck Green, Consultant
Keller Williams Realty Chattahoochee North
Web Reference: http://chuckgreen.com