Home Buying in Burnsville>Question Details

Larry Walters, Other/Just Looking in Burnsville, MN

Since townhomes share a common roof, how are repairs/replacements handled?

Asked by Larry Walters, Burnsville, MN Wed Feb 6, 2013

Answers

13
Gail Strom’s answer
You likely have an HOA that will have governing docs which were set up when the association came into existence. If you already purchased a townhome you will have a copy, somewhere :) Otherwise ask your management company for a fresh set of HOA docs. They will also be able to help you with your questions. If you're considering buying, it's important that you work with a Realtor who has experience with townhomes and HOA units.
Best of luck, Larry.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Thanks for this answer. I think this was helpful. I agree that it is good to look into the HOA and ask them about the process. I'm sure there will be someone who will know how to handle this situation.
Gary Puntman | http://www.starkweatherandsonsroofing.com
Flag Yesterday at 12:10pm
You should ask for the governing documents up front. All of the repairs and maintinince issues are cloearly defined. Also, many HOAs have a website, go to that and ask.
It all depends on how the association is set up. The information should be spelled out in your association documents so I would start there. This is typically handled by the management company so you can call them to report any damage.

Tom
There are a lot of answers below, and the absolute best answer is from Linda Walters. To paraphrase Linda:

Every association is different, do not assume anything is covered. You cannot know until you read the covenants and bylaws.

And Linda's most important fact? "Many agents are misinformed on this point."

I have owned a townhome, and we were responsible for the roof as well as the exterior paint and bricks!

Asking is always the best way to know for sure, and the best way to ask is to go directly to the source.

Thomas Drayton
Keller Williams, Eagan
Web Reference: http://www.beshomes.com
Hi, Larry!
I LOVE this question. Many people purchasing association maintained property are not aware of how or why the association fees are collected and distributed. There is a portion of your monthly association fee that is collected for what's called "reserves". Those reserve funds are what's used for general maintenance on the building. There's also a hazard insurance policy that would be used to pay for damage caused by events covered in the insurance policy.

In the association fee, you are paying for things you would pay for ANYWAY in a single family home, but you'd just be paying out of pocket for it, rather than in a monthly fee. AND, when purchasing an association maintained property, you have an AGENT who is following protocol in obtaining all of the financial information for you as the BUYER up front!!!

Good luck~
Every tonehouse community has different Covenants that were made up when it was first built. These state who is responsible for what expenses. You cannot know without seeing the specific documents for that particular community what is covered. Many agents are misinformed on this point. I have seen townhouse communities where the roof replacement costs were part of the monthly fee, where the community was assessed an amount to replace the roofs and where the homeowners themselves were reposbible for replacing the roofs (using approved shinges, usually).
Repair / replacement of the roof is handed by the homeowners association (unless damage occurred via act of God, storm, hail, etc.). The association sets aside reserves (money) each month to cover eventual repair / replacement of the roof and building exteriors as covered under the association's by-laws. This can vary from association to association so it is important to review and understand all docs prior to closing.
Web Reference: http://www.mywra.net
Yup the association pretty much handles all exterior issues so the roof is a very common example. The homeowner takes care of anything inside. Usually on the listing the association has their number on it, so if I ever have questions before a showing (or usually before writing an offer) I call them up.

And as I always like to point out with TH's and FHA buyers make sure that the unit is FHA approved! Maybe the most annoying thing about buying TH's, and why going conventional may be the smart choice.
Some associations cover doors and windows and some do not. In Minnesota a buyer has a ten day window in which to review all of the association docs, covenants, restrictions, ammendments and most importantly financials. I worked in one association in Lakeville with quads and the doors and windows were up to the individual unit owners to maintain. I have also sold in one of the largest associations in Burnsville (402 units). One of my F.H.A. buyer used a lender that required the master insurance policy be upgraded. The upgrade was only a little over $100.00 annually but required a majority vote from the seven association board members to pass. Of course this came up during the final hour prior to closing. We were successful in contacting the association board members and abtaining authorization and closed on time.
Agreed, it is usually the responsiblity of the Homeowners Association. It can differ depending on your bylaws but it is typical practice for the Association to take repsonsibilty for it.
Hi Larry
In most states everything from the inside paint out is the Homeowners Association's responsibility. Most states require a disclosure of the assiociations finacial state be supplied to buyers before they purchase and provides an out for the buyer if the finances look shakey. Informative articles for home buyers at Your-Road-Home.com. And loan officers available through the Trulia site. Also articles on your road home, Consultation, Interviewing Real Estate Agents. Good Luck
It will depend solely on the bylaws of the association, but typically a common roof is replaced by the association.

Cameron Piper
Coldwell Banker Burnet
licensed MN Real Estate Broker
612-839-4202
Web Reference: http://www.CamPiper.com
Hi Larry,

It can differ from complex to complex. Most are handled by the assocaitions insurance company. If you have a question about a specific assocation, let me know and I can find out for you.

Karissa White
ReMax
952-393-9688
karissa@mnhometeam.com