Home Buying in Tafton>Question Details

R. Harrigan, Home Seller in 18464

Since I am planning to put my house on the market for Sale. I would like to know the average commission price

Asked by R. Harrigan, 18464 Mon Jun 29, 2009

As with all aspects of a Real Estate transaction, commission is negotable! Each region has a norm range for home listings and land listings. In the Pocono region, you will find that MOST homes are listed ate 6-8% while vacant land will be listed at 8-10%.
AL & I like to use the commission rate as a tool to help get your home seen by more agents and buyers! For example..if a buyer is looking for a particular size home in a community and there are 30 homes that match the search....most agents will scroll the list to look for the highest commission listings first. After all, it is human nature..we all work on a commission basis. Of course, if a particular home is requested, any GOOD agent will include that one also.
Let's face it, the more agents that see your house, the more potential buyers will see it also...and hopefully that will result in a quicker sale for you...money saved in the long run when you figure mortgae, taxes and sometimes dues too!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
Commission is negotiable. It is important to interview a few real estate agents to see what services the agent and the brokerage will provide to you while the home is listed. Another important factor in today's market is pricing the home according to market value.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.paupackgroup.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 1, 2009
R. Harrigan

Do not get sucked in to discussions about "average commssion". The commission will be what you can negotiate with the Broker. Having said that, going with the lowest rate is not always the best choice. Often you do get what you pay for and real estate services are no different. When you interview a listing agent have them tell you why they are worth their rate. If they can not negotiate strongly with you then they may not be able to negotiate strongly for you.
Good luck with your sale.

Fran and Mark Redding
Prudential Fox & Roach, Realtors
1010 Stonyhill Road
Yardley, PA 19067
215-321-3307 Direct
215-208-7169 Cell
Web Reference: http://www.franandmark.com
I usually charge 7% in Fremont, NE; but I will negotiate if you purchase your next home through me, if I bring the buyer, if you send me a referral, etc. Best of luck.
Commission is completely negotiable between the seller and the individual broker. There is no "set" fee, though each individual brokerage may have a minimum commission that they charge.

While commission is an important part of the sale process, you need to take into consideration other factors - not the least of which is learning how the agent will market your home.

The most important part of selling your home is having the home priced correctly, based on recent comparables that have sold.
Hello R. Harrigan!

Yes, I totally agree with Terrence below. The commission is kinda like...You Get what you pay for. If you go with the cheapest commission which are some companies that claim you only need to pay them a flat rate for selling your home...well, the part they do not tell you until they get an appointment to meet with you is that - sure you can pay less to sell your home but you will not get all the services you would expect for this price. AND if you allow another Real Estate Agent outside from Them show and sell your home...you will be paying 4.5% min anyway. The best way to interview a seller's agent is ask for what services are you going to provide to me for this commission? This way you can compare apples to apples.

Have them give you a written service commitments...then they will be accountable for their services. Remember, we are in an age of the Internet...do not expect newspaper and magazine advertising...as it is a waste of money. But, you should be getting 24 hour reply times, access to weekly updates, if you have access to the internet, you should also have your agent setup a search for you ...just like you are a buyer and you can see what the competition is doing in your neighborhood etc. Listing your home at the right price and watch the competition to see what Buyers are comparing your home too...priceless information.

I hope this helps you.
Commissions are totally negotiable and is actually part of the marketing. If you allow for a higher commission, agents will work harder to get the place sold, whether they are the listing agent or the buyer agent. That being said, commissions can range anywhere from 4 to 8 percent or more. It all depends on the owner and agent. The usual commission is about 6%. But like I said, the higher the percentage, the bigger the carrot is.

Contact a local agency and chat with them, there's no obligation to talk. Interview several agents/agencies.

Hope that helps,

Terrence Charest, e-Pro