jfitch119, Both Buyer and Seller in 95128

Should you have the same agent represent you for selling and buying?

Asked by jfitch119, 95128 Sun Oct 21, 2012

It depends of the situation. If you are selling your home and you really enjoy working with your agent, yes. You can use the same agent to buy your next home.

On the contrary, if you are trying to buy a house from the listing agent, is not a good idea to work with that agent, because he/she is looking on the best interest of the seller, not yours.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone
Century 21 Tenace

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Thank you for your question. There is no reason why you can not use the same agent. I am in that situation. I met my client at aopen house. She felt comfortable that i would be looking out for her best intereste. I have listed her home in a area that i am not that familiar, but the area she wants to purchase that is my expertizes. So it work out great. Make sure the agent that is listing your home is familuar with the area you want to purchase your home. If not and its in another city, she could get you a realtor and she could get a referral. Is its not that far from your home, then you could us your agent. Good luck. Diane is you need any other assistance call me at 714-618-8031
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
If you are selling our home and buying a home? YES
If you are buying a home should you call the listing agent? NO
The idea is on each home there should be two agents on representing the seller and one representing the buyer.
If you sell your home and that listing agent can assist you in buying a home.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes
(951) 821-8211
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992

If you like them, it's usually the most efficient way. If you don't find another - hopefully who can help you coordinate both transactions.

According to me, i don't think there is any harm in having the same agent for selling and buying. As lon as the agent has full experience of working as a listing agent and a selling agent, you can keep the same agent to represent the two.
If you mean to sell your house and represent you to buy a house, I like that because you choose someone and build a rapport, and trust, and they will work harder for you if you give them two opportunities to serve your needs. They're also going to be able to work with your lender on coordination of close of escrow for one property and close for the new home; and will be savvy about helping you through all of this.

If you mean to represent you as seller and then double-end and represent the buyer for your home, that's a situation that should be avoided. It's just challenging to have quality representation when one person has to represent both sides.

Erica Glessing Nelson
DRE 01425475
Author & Co-Publisher "Sell Your House Fast for the Right Price," released now!
Dear Jfitch,

Whether you use an agent to buy, sell, or both, you must first determine the agent’s expertise and experience as a listing agent and as a selling agent. This can best be done by asking some questions about past listings the agent has handled and how the agent stays on top of current market trends. Regardless, there is no obligation to use the same agent to represent you while selling your home or buying a new home. It is highly recommended, however, that whichever side of the transaction you are on that you use an agent to represent your best interests.

You may use the same agent to represent you as either buyer or seller, but first make certain that the agent is equally knowledgeable as a listing agent and a selling agent. Also be aware that an agent who acts as your listing agent and as selling agent to the buyer acts as a dual agent, and thus has a fiduciary duty to both the seller and the buyer. Fiduciary duty in this case means that the dual agent must show equal care, confidentiality, loyalty, obedience, accounting & disclosure to both the buyer and the seller.
I would not suggest allowing this in one transaction. (In other words allowing them to supposedly represent you and the buyer.) This is dual agency and despite anything any agent may say this is a conflict of interest. However if you like your listing agent and fell their doing a good job there's no reason in the world not to allow them to assist you when you go to buy.
If the agent is strong at both selling and buying, then using that one agent could be quite beneficial to you. Getting the timing to work well when both buying and selling is challenging. If the timing doesn't work out, you may incur significant costs.

However many strong listing agents do not represent very many buyers. Their time and efforts are focused on selling homes. Many very good buyer agents do not have their own advertising budget and connections to do a top job marketing a home. Specializing is one of the ways to develop superior skills. Both buyer agents and seller agents can understand the market prices and trends equally well.

I leverage my time by having my own team of specialists. I over see everything and do all negotiations myself. But I have specialists supporting me who can do various activities very well. This allows me to handle more sales (for sellers and buyers), to know more people, to know the best way to get the job done, and to have the time to get the best results.

Juliana Lee
cell: 650-857-1000

Over a thousand home sales completed.
Web Reference: http://www.julianalee.com
It all depends. If you are selling in one area, and buying in another area, that is not familiar for that agent, I would have her or him get you a referral to the area you want to live in. The agent who is going to represent you should be more familiar with the area of interest. So that is my answer, and i hope that is helpful. I am in that situation right now, but my seller, who is now a buyer, is moving not that far, and i know the area very well that she wants to live in. So it worked out for me. In fact we are in escrow, on both her home, and the one she is going to purchase. She lives in Walnut Calif, and is moving to La Habra, so I work in whittier ca. and there neighbors. Good luck with your decision. Diane 714-618-8031
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Hi JFitch119,

If you are happy and comfortable with your Agent, for Selling your home, and feel they have done a good job for you....then yes by all means you must stick with your agent and buy your next home with them.......only look for a new agent if your agent doent cover the area you want, otherwise be faithful to them! My clients work with me repeatedly, and are loyal to me as they have had a very good experience at each transaction! My entire business is "By Referral" amd that speaks for itself!
Wishing you only the Best, TC,
Nina Daruwalla
Depends. If the relations are working and your agent works regularly in both areas, assuming you are buying not in the same are you are selling, use the same agent. It will help you with the timing of both transactions. Working with someone who knows you, your family and understands your needs is always a plus.

If you are moving far away and/or the first transaction is not going to your satisfaction - use another agent for the buy.

There is so many possibilities...
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
Dear jfitch119:

You are under no obligation to use the same agent. Reasons to use the same one for both the selling and buying: existing relationship; timing of selling / buying / moving / escrow dates; simpler communications. Reasons not to use the same agent: two homes are not covered by one agent; relationship not working well during the first part of the transaction.

Always do what is most comfortable for you...and share this with your agent.

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors
DRE 01856137
Hello, J. Fitch ~

Interesting question - If you are asking should you work directly with the listing agent in the purchase of a home, my answer is as follows...

I believe up to 1989, when you purchased a home, the commission was paid by the seller and both the buyers agent and sellers agent represented the seller in the transaction. Then there was a lawsuit brought by a buyer who was upset because they had no representation in the transaction. At that point the agency disclosure form was created to outline the specific duties we had as a fiduciary representative of our buyers or sellers. Essentially, when we take on someone as our client, it's like we become them. When we deal with another agent, and we are representing the seller of a home, it is like the other agent is dealing directly with the seller. Now, let's say you really like a house and you meet the listing agent at the property. The listing agent's first duty is too get the most money possible on the sale of the home. This is not to say that they can not help you purchase the home. It is just that you will not truly have a fiduciary representing you in the transaction and trying to negotiate the best terms for you on the purchase of that home.

If you are asking if you should work with the agent who listed your home and successfully closed the transaction for you, in the purchase of your next home, by all means, do!

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your question:

Grace Morioka gave you an excellent answer to your question.

Yes. I recommend that you select the same agent to represent you on both the sale of your current home and on the purchase of your next home.

Once you have selected a good agent, that agent can represent you on the purchase of the property that you want to buy and on the sale of your property. You will find that coordinating the whole operation will go much better if you are represented by one agent on both the purchase and the sale rather than two different agents.

Thank You
Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
Hi J and thanks for your post.

If your agent did a great job for you in selling your home AND the new home where you wish to purchase is in the same area, then, by all means, use the same agent. If, however, the area where you are planning to move is a distance from your current home, then it may make more sense for you to find a great agent in that locale that can help you get a feel for the neighborhoods and communities. If you don't know anyone in that area, then your agent can refer you to a great agent in the same company or through their connections with other agents.

Good luck!!

Grace Morioka
Allison James
That is a matter of choice for the seller/buyer. Most agents could do a good job representing the sale of your home and the purchase of your new home.

It could be advantageous to have the same agent do both to be able to coordinate the timing of the closing of the sale and the purchase.

All my best,
Dot Chance, Realtor CDPE
DRE #01494182
Keller Williams Realty World Media Center