Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Should you attend the inspection if you're getting the report anyway?

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Thu Apr 4, 2013

Answers

4
John Juarez’s answer
I am not sure whether this question is being posed to agents or to buyers/sellers so my answer reflects the advice that I give to my clients who ask if they should be present at the inspection.

Speaking from the prospective of the buyer’s agent: I tell my clients that it is a good idea to attend the inspection. Inspectors that I am familiar with will give you an oral report at the conclusion of the inspections. They will answer questions that you might have. You can observe what they do and get a better insight into the process and what an inspector is looking for. The written report is an important document but attending the inspections gives the written report context that provides a better understanding of the condition of the property.

From the prospective of the seller’ agent: I tell my clients that it is less important to attend the inspection. The report will speak for itself and following the inspector around, debating his findings and defending the condition of the property are unproductive and could be counter-productive.

Personally…I generally attend the inspections for my buyers but not necessarily my sellers. In other words, I follow my own advice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 4, 2013
I generally spend the time there ... but I let him do his job. If I discover something that he's missed, I'm using the wrong inspector. Most will call my attention to any critical issues along the way. I ask my buyers to stop by at the end, so that the inspector can discuss his findings with them. Prior to their arrival, I go over things with the inspector, so that I'm informed about what was discovered. The inspectors I prefer are those who can communicate in non-technical terms, so that buyers fully understand the report. I submit a list of five to my clients, but don't recommend any of them over the others. I encourage them to talk to each of them, and select the one they're most comfortable with. This way, when they arrive at the home, a level of trust has already been established.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
Trulia,

You bet! Sometimes you will see something the inspector might miss. Realtors don't want to put themselves out there as an expert in inspections, but they sure can put things in simple terms for their clients to understand and back them up when reviewing issues.

Also if they were present, they can talk in real terms when they go over the report later with their client. Wording in the report that says "leak at the sink that needs a licensed plumber to fix"" might only be a washer that is dripping. The first part sounds scary, the second part that everyone viewed...not so much.

And remember to perform inspections on new construction homes as well!! They are built by humans and can have mistakes/issues as well.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
I always do. It makes the client feel special and gives the agent the opportunity to have an idea of major if any issues.