Home Buying in Raleigh>Question Details

Trulia Ralei…, Other/Just Looking in Raleigh, NC

Should you attend the home inspection if you're getting a report?

Asked by Trulia Raleigh, Raleigh, NC Wed Apr 3, 2013

Answers

14
Annette Lawrence’s answer
Unless you can accurately interpret, "inadequate kick-out flashing at SE corner" or can translate an incorrect statement such as "Chimney pan may be retaining water at base" (note: pan is at the top of housing and can not retain water) and the always popular 'live wire in attic' you will find yourself 'helpless' in directiong any corrective measures or defending your home seller.
-
I always like to be present so I can ask, while the buyer is there, 'What does a correction look like?"
Too often a drama in the report is resolved by reducing a pvc run by 3 inches and in the case of my last episode of 'inspector gone goofy' reseating the plug into the receptacle.
-
Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Assoicate
Remax Relatec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
Definitely! I always attend my buyer-clients Home Inspections and encourage my buyers to attend as well. There are times where agents and inspectors can shed light on areas of concern they may have missed singly. I always do an agent Red Flag Inspection of the property on the first visit. When meeting with the inspector any areas od concern can be further evaluated. When you as a buyer are present you have a wonderful opportunity to receive information, evaluation and education concering the systems and structures, incorporated into the home you are considering purchasing and to confirm the condition of the property. Don't miss out on this important opportunity of
the home buying process.
I'm throwing my 2 cents in as well. A home is the biggest purchase most people ever make and this is a golden opportunity for you to learn things about the home that we as agents would probably never get into with you because much of what the inspector will share with you is not within the realm of our professional experience. I learn something new at almost every inspection I attend with my clients...including the one I attended yesterday. I always tell my buyers to dress to get dirty and stick with the inspector. This included all 3 of my grown children who have purchased homes within the past 2 years. I've never had anybody not thank me for almost insisting they attend the inspection. Also, a good inspector welcomes you to be at his side!
Absolutely. I attend all my inspections with my buyers it part of what their paying us for. I also like to show up at the very end of my seller inspections simply to have any major issues pointed out . This allows me to ask the inspector if I'm not clear about something so that I may then explain it to my sellers. I feel that not attending inspections with your buyer shows a lack of respect for them.
It's in your best interest! You are buying a large asset why not dedicate 2-3 hours and meet your inspector? If work schedule does not allow you to do it during the week, find an inspector who will agree to come on the weekend.
Also, keep in mind, inspectors have their requirements for filling out an inspection report: there are some items they are not supposed to put in the written report but can always talk to you about them if you are present.
This is also your opportunity to ask questions about the home's features, structure and systems.
We have designed a questionair for buyers to ask their inspectors during the home inspection, let me know if you would like a copy of it.
Irina Bennett
Remax One Realty
(919) 868-1040
info@trianglehomeowner.com
As all have already noted, absolutely. It's a great learning experience. It's worth the time.
Most certainly unless there is no way you can get the time off of work. If you absolutely cannot make it then your buyer's agent should attend in order to give you additional feedback and you should be sure to obtain the inspector's contact information for any follow up questions. It is important to remember that an inspector may not be able to estimate costs to fix any necessary repairs, and you or the seller may need to consult other professionals to determine the costs of fixing any issues the home inspector uncovers, such as an HVAC technician or a contractor, depending on what, if anything needs repaired.
Absolutely. Inspectors use required language to describe both little and big issues that can be very scary and misleading when reading the report if you haven't been there. It is very helpful to be able to talk to the inspector and get a sense of the repair's importance and whether it is something you can handle yourself. For example, when a lightbulb is not working, inspectors will list that as a problem to be checked out. I do not mean to minimize major problems because those are definitely important. Bottom line: go to the inspection and learn about your house.

Hope it goes well.

Vivian
Absolutely
the time.with.the.inspector helps you learn.about your.new.home.

If you don't care about the inspection, why pay and have one done at all?

Best.of luck
The inspector will call your attention to any needed repairs and will also provide information about systems such as heat and air conditioning, location of important shut off valves and any "quirks" in the property. So while the report can provide a lot of information and your buyers' agent can represent you at the inspection, unless it is a real hardship, you should attend.
Yes, I always ask my buyer clients to be present for their home inspections. You will have the opportunity to not only see any needed repairs, but you will also get the chance to learn about all of the major systems in your home from a pro. It's definitely worth your time.

Best wishes,
Kendal
I would...................
Yes I always recommend the buyers attend, it is very helpful especially if you are not a handyman or have purchased many homes in the past. As a buyers agent I am always at the home insp.
Michael
Yes be there and have your agent there as well. Most importantly ask questions on all issues until you have absolute clarity. Some times inspectors are not as good at communicating as they should be and some are a bit dramatic so ask questions for clarity. Bottom line is how much will it cost to fix it. Is it something the lender will rquire fixed before closing.
Negotiate for the seller to repair the issue. If they refuse think about raising the price to include the cost of repairs. The borrowed money is much cheeper than credit cards or cash.
Best of Luck, Stephen