Mike Abraham, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

Should we buy a new townhome or a new single family home?

Asked by Mike Abraham, Pittsburgh, PA Thu Apr 16, 2009

My fiance and I are completely divided over this issue. We are looking at a Ryan townhome which has nearly every upgrade we want, (end unit, 4" extension, upgraded master bath...etc), for $208,000. My personal feeling is we should buy a SFH that we can grow in to, but my boyfriend feels we should go for the townhome with all the options since the SFH may be more money and we won't have as much free money to do the upgrades ourselves. My question is this, are we better off buying a TH with upgrades already included? Or a SFH that we can add upgrades to later. We plan on being in this home a min of 5 years and plan to begin a family in the next 2-3. Both are new build options. Both are over 1900 square feet.

Answers

2
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
HI!
Maybe your boyfriend wants the townhome because he doesn't want to mow the lawn!!!! ha

Look - the bottom line is....I think it's a lifestyle choice.......do you want the ability to live "carefree" and not worry about exterior maintenance, snow removal or lawn care? Or....do you want to have your own backyard where you can entertain or garden or add a patio or deck? Do you want to be able to paint your home any color you want, or follow the HOA rules? Do you want amenities that many condo communities offer?

If you're young and starting out, perhaps the townhome option is an easier transition into the responsibility of home ownership. I work with a lot of young couples that choose that option.
I suggest you both sit down and list your priorities........hopefully, they will mesh and you will make the decision that works for both of you.
Good luck!!!
Debbie
Does he mean more cash up front to do rennovations? Because their are options out there for rennovation style loans which might help you out. If you go to my blog at http://blog.seandawes.com I just wrote a post there the other day about this style of loan.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email at sean.dawes@longandfoster.com

Sean Dawes
Long and Foster Real Estate Inc.
Web Reference: http://www.SeanDawes.com