Lori Stock,  in Davenport, IA

Should one build new or purchase an existing home?

Asked by Lori Stock, Davenport, IA Wed Jul 10, 2013

I have done both and have been very happy with both choices. I liked the new construction because I was able to participate in choosing colors, flooring, style of finishes such as faucets and light fixtures....and there is nothing like the smell of a new home!
Purchasing existing homes is like buying an adventure especially depending on the age of the home. I've purchased historic houses, mid-age range homes, and newer homes. I can honestly say I've enjoyed all the different experiences....my favorite though is building new!

Answers

4
Building a new home takes time and patience. If you have the means and know exactly what you want in a home, I would build. I would also recommend taking your time with the blueprints to get all your thoughts on paper. You should also interview a few different builders to find a builder that you mesh good with. Most subdivisions in the Bettendorf area are owned by 1, 2, 3, or more builders and if you like that subdivision, you have to build with one of the builders. Your best route is to find a Realtor you are happy with and who knows new construction and the available builders. This way he/she can give you recommendations and their expertise.
I think it really depends on your situation, but if you have the time and resources to build a new home why wouldn't you? The more input you get the better right?
I agree that new construction is definitely a fun process, however, there is a great amount of time needed to do so. Purchasing a home could also be a fun process it just depends what you are looking for. Please contact me if I can help in any way- ksolveson@melfosterco.com.
It all depends on the time, effort, and money you want to put into it. You can't go wrong with building new though, best of luck to you.