Kozo, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Should i be concerned about a sump pump used to correct a standing water issue?

Asked by Kozo, San Ramon, CA Thu May 3, 2012

This was mentioned in the disclosures, installed in 2008. Is this common for the area? Additional disclosures mention fixing of damage done and mold removal.

Answers

11
Kozo:

I believe the only time you should have water running under your home is when you live on a Boat!

Water is the most destruction element to a home. Personally, I believe, if possible, one should not buy a home where water is entering within the foundation - even if a sum pump is installed.

In the long run, the continued introduction of water is likely to this lead to:

1) Foundation issues, which can show visually within the home in the form of foundation cracks, tree root growth under the home, sticking doors/windows, and uneven floors;

2) Providing an environment for mold and fungus to take hold, and

3) Encourage subterranean termite colonization.

Additionally, much like power lines, freeway noise and cell towers the presence of the sump pump will take a percentage of possible future buyers out of the picture. For some, the sump pump will be an issue, but for others, it will not be a major concern.

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
I may be wrong, but I believe sump pumps are not supposed to run continuously. In my experience, the sump pump only turns on after a storm. If you have constant water flowing under your home, I don't see how the foundation can remain undamaged. I would look at some different properties.

http://www.rite-waywaterproofing.com/sump_pumps.php
Yeah I would agree with the other comments, and be very concerned about that. I'd get a pump station cleaning service out asap. It could cause so much water damage and be bad for the property in other ways. It's definitely not something you want to mess around with. http://www.forrestsewerpump.com/Pump_Station_Grease_Trap_Cle…
I agree with Tim on this one. You are going to want to get a submersible pump out to your property to get that water cleaned up. Water damage can be very pricey, and it can spread so quickly to other parts of your house. Get this taken care of ASAP. http://www.advancedpumps.com.au/services/
Flag Mon Nov 3, 2014
I agree with Tim. You don't really want to mess around with water damage. You want your property to stay in good shape for a long time. It's definitely something I would be concerned about. Good luck!

Dean Reese | http://www.permadrywaterproofing.com/sump-pump-systems/
Flag Wed Jul 30, 2014
Bernard is correct, parts of San Ramon have water issues under the homes, especially in the 94583 area code. Sometimes it is sprinklers that are directed towards the foundation, sometimes it is from a nearby hill and sometimes it is a result of inadequate venting (not enough air can get into the sub area) or the foliage is blocking air flow.
I saw this for a sump pump in Edmonton also. It is pretty normal up here I think but I am not sure about your area specifically.
Kozo:

Make sure you understand the underlying issue of the sump pump -- why it is there, how it works, how often it needs to run, any other solutions you may want to install after you are the homeowner. This can be done by the appropriate contractor recommended by your real estate agent.

Ultimately, you need to make sure you are comfortable with the information you gather and any possible long term ramifications (i.e., resale value).

Sally Blaze
DRE#10856137
sblaze@apr.com
925-998-1284
If the standing water was a pre-existing problem and not a recurring issue, then the theory is that the sump pump is working for the purpose or intent it was installed for.

The mold must have been caused by the water seepage in the basement. If the mold has been remediated, ask for a documentation from the licensed mold remediator or specialist.

Moreover, make sure that you install a battery operated back up sump pump in case of power outage during heavy rains.

I hope this helps.

Maria
Great question and you would be wise to at least consult with the Contractor/Engineer who install the system.

Water under an enclosed crawl space is not a good thing... ever. I just had similar circumstances with two sales and the drainage/foundation contractor strongly recommended that If it is water intrusion from the exterior which is often because the exterior grade is above the ground level under the house, then a perimeter drainage collection system that is installed outside the foundation and extends below the grade under the house is often the solution. At times this may require a sump pump to get the water out to the street. If the water is seeping up under the house from a spring or other situation then a collection system under the house may be required. My drainage contractor still recommends that any sump pump used in such a system be installed on the exterior of the home.

The other element to make sure you have is a lot of ventilation, perhaps including a fan to pull the air out.

And then monitor all systems regularly.

Steve Curtis
DRE # 350257
If the Sump is keeping the water out, and no damage is being caused by water intrusion, then it must be doing its job. I would find out, why it was installed, who put it in, and ask if there was a mold sample test after it was corrected. Through your inspections, you should be able to find out if the correction is working and be able to make your decision on whether or not you want to move forward.
We use sump pumps all the time

The bigger question is....is it working?
If the sump pump was installed AFTER damage was done, was the damage repaired?

Did you get new inspections ....and see if your inspectors can determine if any previous damage have been resolved or not, and to give you estimates if they weren't.
Sump pumps are not uncommon in homes in some of the older parts of San Ramon and if there is a standing water problem, it is better to have a sump pump rather than just ignore the issue.

Most home inspectors I know ould recommend a drainage inspection when there is a sump pump in place. It is likely that standing water could indicate a drainage problem. If that is the case, a more permanent solution is generally to improve the drainage system.

If I was the buyer, I'm sure I would have a drinage inspection carried out.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, J. Rockcliff Realtors
DRE License # 01331583
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com

http://www.JustSanRamonHomes.com