Coxmeb, Home Buyer in Claremont, CA

Should/can I report this realtor family to the board?

Asked by Coxmeb, Claremont, CA Wed May 21, 2014

Made an offer to broker on house she was representing (she represented both of us) and listed my house with her at full 6% as I would be contingent in sale of my property. 4 offers came in at asking. I was not presented with offers until 4 days later (after they were able to secure a buyer for me so they could get full commission). Did not want to sell to that buyer as he was contingent and a bully broker who was letting my broker take the commission in order to get my house. Was told by my broker not to counter any of he offers as buyers "get mad and scared off" when you do that, and that I "should" take their buyer who would give me a "whole $5000" extra (sale of house was 595000). That she was able to get me the house I wanted and she thought "we could make everyone happy." In went with that buyer knowing I was leaving money on the table as I was scared to lose the house that I was trying to buy. My broker was also reprinting the seller of the house I was buying on her NEW home

Answers

3

What you are sharing here I find to be a bit confusing. What I can share is this...

You can report an agent to his/her broker, their local association of Realtors and/or the California department of Real Estate. Doing so must be thought out carefully.

This situation certainly sounds fishy and less then ethical...but the other side of that is you cooperated. i'm sure you signed all the documents...and no one was forcing you to do so.

Anytime the same broker represents buyer and seller, I believe you have a compromise of clients' interests. Your best bet is to have your own buyer's agent who is unrelated to the seller.

I certainly can't tell you what to do. From what you've shared, it sounds like you were improperly guided by a money motivated agent.
At the core of your question, I sense a general distrust and dislike of this particular "agent". It does sound like that agent has a stake in every commission possible for the purchases and sales in question. Dual Agency is legal in California but it is often difficult to do a great job for every party in a dual agency situation.
I don't know where you are in the sales and purchases,but it seems that you are out of escrow already. You can speak with the Broker in the office that your "agent" works, but beyond that you would have to seek legal advice for satisfaction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 21, 2014
It sounds like the Realtor didn't do anything wrong. Everything was disclosed to you and ultimately you made the decision to accept the contingent offer. The agent did a fine job. You may have some personal issues with your agent earning her commissions. So you want to sell your house for over asking price, buy your new house contingent on the sale of your property and get everything that you want!!?? AND... you want to possibly ruin the reputation of your agent that is helping you accomplish all of this?? I feel for your agent...