Home Buying in Stonington>Question Details

Greg Broadbe…, Real Estate Pro in Mystic, CT

Should buyers select their own home inspector? Should I be worried if my agent picked the inspector for me?

Asked by Greg Broadbent, Mystic, CT Sat May 17, 2008

Answers

12
Holly Powell’s answer
Ask your agent for several reputable home inspectors, then you can pick the one you are most comforatble with. It's common for agents to give you contacts for professionals that they have worked with before. You are the one paying for the inspection and therefore it's your choice. If you feel better about hiring an inspector that hasn't been provided to you by your agent, it shouldn't be a problem.
Smart agents only recommend at least 3 names of valid Home Inspection Services and ask the buyer to check them out by calling them and asking for satisfied customer for a reference. They can decide upon qualifications, cost and availability.

But you know that Greg, as an agent yourself!

Sharon
Good advice below. Technically, the buyer should pick the home inspector. However, your agent is probably going to recommend some good ones. And here it's important to understand what a good home inspector is.

First, a good home inspector understands home systems and is skilled at finding problems. A lot of inspectors started off in one trade (electrician, plumber, construction) and tend to be very strong in that one area, but not so good in others. You agent can help you with that.

Second, a good home inspector isn't just going to say a home is OK in order to facilitate the purchase and to keep the agent happy. An inspector will report all legitimate problems.

Third--and this is important, too--a good home inspector isn't going to try to kill a deal even if the house is in good shape. I've seen some home inspections where the inspector has gone on for pages about really minor issues, some of which didn't even merit being included. The inspector understands that the client has paid hundreds of dollars for an inspection and, even if the house is pristine, he's got to find some stuff to justify the inspection. You don't want that, either.

So: The agent can and usually should recommend. The buyer selects.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Depends...do you trust your agent? Remember, if your agent is decent and trustworthy, s/he knows which inspectors do a good job in a timely fashion, and those are the ones s/he will recommend/select. If you agent is a slime that just wants to see the deal close so s/he can make a commission, then s/he knows which inspectors are sloppy or lazy, and those are the ones s/he will recommend/select. So...do you have a good, trustworthy agent who is looking out for YOUR best interests? If so...you need not worry. If not...you should consider finding an agent you can trust.
Buyers should pick their Home Inspector with Realtor input. Buyers should ask Realtor for Home Inspector names. Then ask why. Association; friend, brother in law, cousin, etc., construction experience, writes good report, license, insured. Then do the due diligence and check Home Inspector's web site read a report example, read his background experience and ask how long does the inspection take. Good Luck home buyers.
Technically, you should pick. However, when I let my clients pick, they pick the cheap one - not the good one. So, you're probably better off if your agent picked yours.
It is really the buyer's role to "pick" the home inspector. Of course, most buyers are not connected to people in the home inspection business and often look to the real estate agent to help out. It is a good idea for an agent to offer multiple inspectors. He/she should also let you know of any relationships that might exist between themselves and the inspector. For example, I know a few home inspectors because I have worked with them in the past and they did a professional job.
Web Reference: http://www.ilmct.com
Who picks the inspector is not the important issue, how good they are is. Assuming you have a good relationship with your agent and trust him/her, then i wouldn't have any qualms about going with someone they recommend. If you know someone you trust, that's OK too.
The important thing to remember is to plan to be there during the inspection and take lots of notes. Any good inspector will be giving you a running commentary all through the inspection. He/she will be pointing out things to you that arent 'bad' or 'wrong', but are informational, so they would never show up on a report. You will learn a lot about your new house during the process that will help you to maintain it in good repair throughout you time there.
The bottom line is: if you trust your agent, then don't worry about taking their recommendation. If you don't, then ask his/her broker for a new agent.
Web Reference: http://www.danrossre.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 17, 2008
Your agent does not just pick a home inspector for you. You may ask your salesperson to recommend a home inspector. When a buyer contacts me an wants a recommendation for a home inspector. I always give at least four names of licensed home inspectors to the buyer . I suggest they call them and ask any questions that they may have prior to hiring the inspector. They should work with whom they feel most comfortable. I also mention that they can ask their attorney for a recommendation. A buyer can also open the yellow pages book and search for home inspectors and choose one. They can also ask friends and family to recommend an inspector. Depending on the size of the town a buyer is purchasing in, you may see the same names coming up a few times as recommended home inspectors.

Arlene Trunzo, CRS, GRI, SRES
Licensed Real Estate Broker, Staten Island ,NY
A.T. REAL ESTATE SPECIALISTS LLC
atrealestatespecialists.com
A good Realtor should have a number of good inspectors, and his/her recommendation is usually priceless! Keep in mind that an inspection is done mostly to find major structural/mechanical faults with the home. Nit-picking about peeling paint and loose tiles won't help a seller sell or a buyer buy. If one of my buyers picks their own inspector and I have not heard of them or had experience with them, I always ask around to my associates if anyone has had experience with the inspector.
One of my buyers once chose their own inspector who told us that the roof was in dangerously bad shape. Later we came to find out that the roof was 6 years old and in perfect condition.
As in all professions, I believe it is always better to go with someone who has been referred to you.
An agent should provide a list of reputable Home Inspectors for a buyer to choose from. In fact, Real Estate Errors and Ommissions Insurance may require it.

I also recommend that sellers have their homes pre-inspected prior to putting them on the market.
I wouldn't be worried that the broker picked the home inspector unless you happen to know someone more qualified. A good broker can be great just for their contacts. Does that mean you aren't at risk? NO. This is perhaps the most difficult part of buying. No home inspector assumes much responsibility, and their scope of coverage is almost nothing. Often they dirty up the waters by nit picking to make it seem like they were worth their fee. Read the report carefully with someone experienced in contracting. If you have questions or concerns, the inspector should be able to clarify or go back out. I would also do my own inspection after receiving the report. Something to consider is whether the inspector will reinspect after repairs also. If not, you could expose yourself even more. It's tough, but if you supplement with a home warranty, that will help. I prefer Old Republic.
Web Reference: http://www.homevaluator.org