Home Buying in Orange County>Question Details

Rcheng, Home Buyer in Irvine, CA

Should Inspector Come for Final Walk Through?

Asked by Rcheng, Irvine, CA Mon Mar 4, 2013

My husband and I are buying a home, and the inspector said there was a leak under the bathtub. When we do the final walk through should this and the rest of the house be inspected again? The seller is planning to stay in the house ten days after escrow, so if we get a second inspection we should probably wait until after they move out. We don't want to spend $400 on another inspection, though our agent says it could be a good idea.

Answers

5
Hi Rcheng,

Interesting question since typically inspectors don't come back for the final walk-through (AKA: Final Verification of Property Condition). Since there is a known water issue and extended stay it may make sense to have that repair inspected after it is done. This is basically a visit to satisfy yourself on the condition of the home after any repairs are done and that the property is in the condition you expect it to be in. This walk-through is not a contingency or condition of the sale.

The issue I see is if this re-inspection is done after the close you have less recourse. I would rather the repair and re-inspect be done before escrow closes. If re-inspection is difficult due to schedules or ?? you can ask the seller to leave money in escrow until the repair is re-inspected. Whether you re-inspect or not you should decide what information will satisfy you regarding the repair. The seller should provide you or your Realtor with receipts for this and any other repairs, on that receipt will be the company or person that did the work and what work was done and the cost. Call the plumber and discuss the job if needed.

Good luck and congratulations on your new home,

Brian Wilson, Realtor
DRE# 01321478
949-933-0852
The only time I have had an inspector come back at the walk through was when there were substantial repairs for the seller to fix.

If the seller is going to fix things...you might first suggest that the seller and listing agent meet you at the walk through and go through the repairs together. Have them be the ones to show you what was done. Also, ask for receipts from the workman with contact information so you have recourse.

If you do have an inspector come back, he should not charge you another $400. I've had inspectors come back to check repairs for $100-$200.

I'd personally have it done before you close and not during their "possession after close" time period. As other have said, no need for a full inspection. Just have them come back for a quick verification or have a licensed plumber come and take a look. Either way, shouldn't cost you more than $100.
Although a receipt showing proof that this leak was fixed should be sufficient it is definitely a good idea to bring your inspector with you on the final walkthrough for him to confirm that the repairs were in fact made. It is usually not necessary to have the whole house inspected again during the final walkthrough as this time is used to make sure the previous repairs were completed and the house still looks up to the standards you expected. It may be a good idea to have another inspection done after the owner moves out, however if they are only staying for 10 days after Escrow and have not made any significant changes or damages it is not completely necessary to have an entirely new inspection done. I hope this advice is helpful!

"Referrals are the heart of my business!"
Amanda Bihr
http://www.orangecountydreamhomes.net
Since it's not something that you can simply "view", it's probably a good idea to re-inspect... and it should cost you a full inspection fee for your inspector to come out and confirm the one repaired item.

On the other hand, I'm sure you are requiring some evidence of repair (ie: an invoice from a local plumber showing that the repair has been made)... and a call to the person who made the repair could put your mind at rest.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL