Angel'shome, Home Buyer in 54915

Should I use two realtors in my home search?

Asked by Angel'shome, 54915 Fri Jul 23, 2010

Answers

16
Linda S. Cefalu’s answer
Angel'shome,

Very good advice so far and in addition keep in mind that if you start in one area and decide on a home in an area that your agent is unfamiliar with, he or she can refer you to an agent who is. Your original agent will or should follow up with that new agent to make sure you are being serviced properly. Then it's like having two agents looking out for your best interest.

And the original agent will receive a referral fee from the new agent - not from you! That way everyone is well taken care of and happy and your original agent will be compensated for the at least some of the time they already have put in.

Hope this helps.
Linda
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 24, 2010
Hi Angel. I am going to answer slightly different from my colleagues and recommend in the beginning to use more than one. You are hiring someone to perform a job for you. Interview/audition several. Don't go nuts and go to everyone, but 3 is usually a good number. Tell them what you want and let them show you a couple places. You will quickly tell who is the best fit for you. THEN use just one for all the reasons my colleagues said below.

If by chance you find that perfect house during the audition process, then the agent who showed it to you will become your agent.

Good luck and have fun. Buying a new home should be exciting and an enjoyable time.

Polly Briley
RE/MAX On The Water
Neighborhoods Real Estate
920-203-1155
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 23, 2010
Angel-

I would recommend working with just one. There are multiple reasons for this that are to your advantage.

1) All local REALTORS have access to everyone's listing. In other word's by going with one company you won't miss what the other companues have listed.

2) You will be able to build a working relationship of trust with that agent. After a while the dialogue you have will make the purchase that much easier.

3) After a while the agent should be able to key in with exactly what you are looking for and if you are a serious buyer find that property for you if it is not out there now.

4) It should make the home buying experience more enjoyable. For example: If you call a different agent each and every time you will most likely have x number of agents calling and emailing you to get your business.

5) Working with one agent will allow you to establish a buyer's agent relationship that can be very beneficial for most buyers.

Hope this helps!
Best of Luck with your home purchase. If I can be of help please give me a call.

Best Regards-

Duane Murphy
Coldwell Banker The Real Estate Group, Inc.
920-810-7234
http://www.duanemurphy.com
dmurphy@coldwellhomes.com
Web Reference: http://www.duanemurphy.com
I would work with one at a time, unless they specialize in different areas/locations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 23, 2010
While it is not unheard of to be in contact with two different Realtors looking for you, I would try one and if she/he doesn't fit your needs, try another one. Two heads may be better than one, but a signed contract protects you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 23, 2010
If you are only looking to buy in one area use one professional.

If you are looking at different areas no one agent may cover that large an area.

If you do not like the one agent trade up. But find and stick with one as long as they meet your needs.

It would be a good idea to interview a few agents to find out who would be a good fit for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 23, 2010
Working primarily as buyer agents, we would prefer to have our clients work with us exclusively. With an official Buyer Agency Agreement in place you will know that your Realtor is working hard to find you just the right property. I believe that human nature may come into play if you are actively using more than 1 Realtor. Knowing that there is competition in the same market for the same buyer may push your Realtor to concentrate on their fully signed clients.

Interviewing agents is a good idea and we have had buyers put us in that position. If we demonstrate that we can do a good job for a buyer we find that they choose us most of the time. Naturally, one "size" does not fit all in our business and it is helpful to know if a relationship will work before committing.

There are many great Realtors out there and it would be rare to find one that did not work out for you.
I have never thought about getting two different realtors to work with. I think it would help in a way just because now you would have two experts to explain things. I think it would also help you see a different point of view and how each realtor differs from other realtors. I think it would help in the long run.

Zach | http://www.realtyinalabama.com/
you can, however, you may run into a problem of who showed you what house the first time. I would recommend finding one realtor that matches your personality and is helpful to you. Both of you can work together to find your dream home and the success rate would be better by using only one realtor.
If the two agents are focusing on the same target location for you and you have provided clearly articulates search criteria, what benefit would you be seeking.

On the other hand if you are targeting two distinctly different regions that in your opinion, your agent is not well versed on, then by all means seek a representative that can best meet your needs. With this said, it is recommended that you make both agents aware of your arrangements so that there are no overlapping services.

But to select two or more agents that are targeting the same location for you is not a recommended tactic......

Question posted in Jul 2010.

Still has relevance....apparently.

Just be aware, when you look at the house I have listed with agent A on Thursday and show up with agent B on Saturday, I WILL say, "Were you here with Agnes on Thursday?" Agent B will know what is taking place.

Moral to the story, if you are not transparent with agent A and agent B, you are setting them up for betrayal and yourself up for embarrassment.

If you are transparent and both agree, you need to accept responsibility for the environment you created.
I know many buyers who meet with a few Realtors to interview them. You want to be able to get along with your agent and have your personalities match. As a professional it never makes me happy when we are out showing homes, working very hard for the client/buyer only to find out they are working with another agent as well.

How would you feel if at work you worked your butt off for your boss but found out in the break room that he hired another person to do the exact same thing you were doing. Then after a few weeks he would just stop talking to you, stop returning your calls and emails but you still continue to work, work hard but come pay day you don't get a check. You then find out that you were fired two weeks ago but nobody told you.

That is what we deal with and it comes with the territory but please don't lead your agents on. Be up front with them and then let them make the decision if they want to continue to work with you knowing there is a chance they might work very hard for you and never be compensated.
David makes a great point. Ask people who have been through the process recently, ie; the past two years. EVERYONE will offer you advice. The people offering the advice, ask them when they bought a house last. A good referral is golden. If you know someone who suggests a realtor inquire further. If their answer makes sense, book the appointment.

Again, if this becomes a painful experience, you need to rethink your choice. I mean, is there any other time in your life you get to go into someone else's house and make comments that are only between you and your realtor? Why do you think we wanted the job?

No amount of experience will eclipse enthusiasm and fun. I have more designations than I know what to do with, but my clients always tell me that they had a good time. Considering how much money you are investing, confidence in your decision and fun making it will end up with a happy closing.

Polly Briley'
RE/MAX On The Water
Neighborhoods Real Estate
920-203-1155
polly@northeastwihomes.com
Ask your friends that have bought homes recently. They will be able to give you advice based on their experience. Interview a few realtors and pick someone you feel comfortable with. Once you start looking at homes you will do your self a favor staying with one person.
Angel,

That is a great question however working with just one realtor is the only way to go as you dont want to play two realtors against each other. Work with a realtor that you are most comfortable with, ask questions and look for a realtor that will work with you as a buyers agent, that way they are working for you and not the seller. Call if I can be of help to you if your search or if you have questions. Best wishes to you in your home search.
Nan Brennan
Century 21 First Realty Appleton
920-427-0414
No, Just use a buyers agent. It is a free service and that assures you that the agent is working for you and not the sellers. If you would like help please contact me @ 920-716-8322. I would be happy to assist you in finding the perfect home. : )
Julie