Home Buying in San Jose>Question Details

San Jose home…, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Should I upgrade my kitchen appliance while buying a new town house.?

Asked by San Jose home buyer., San Jose, CA Mon Jun 27, 2011

We are planning on buying the shea town home located at Santa Clara. Should we upgrade the kitchen appliances to the free standing vs the slide in ranges that is included?

We plan to live in the house for about 7-10 years.And were told that at a later point if we do need to upgrade out kitchen (for our own use or for a resale) we would need to cut through the counter top if we go with the slide in.

Thoughts?

Answers

12
Personally, I would purchase new kitchen appliances. If you really plan to live in the home for 7-10 years, then it may be worth it to you to purchase the new appliances. If you use your kitchen often and spending the money is worth it to you, then go for it. It is better to purchase the new appliances when you move in so you can enjoy them, rather than purchasing them for a resale.

Congratulations on your move to Santa Clara! That is a great area.

Claire Reynolds || http://www.trisupplyhometeam.com/appliances-in-austin/
If you plan on living in your home for 7-10 years, then make your new house your home. It is a personal choice and an individual decision. There is no wrong answer. When you are ready to sell it, you may want to evaluate it again at that time as to what the new trends are in 10 years so it is fresh and appealing to a new buyer...
Since slide in ranges typically cost twice as much as the free standing units, if you need to pay for that downgrade, then that doesn't make much sense. Plus, free standing units are typically seen in apartment units and older homes, so adding one today will more likely make your house seem either cheaper or dated. In 7-10 years, you could justify a major renovation of your kitchen and can make any trendy choices then.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
We recently updated our kitchen and so after going though this process my advice to you is to get what works for you. Seven to 10 years out is too long to know what the trends may be or what the real estate market may be. It would be a shame if you did something based on current trends only to either stay longer in the home or to have the trends change. And depending on the real estate market when you do decide to sell if the market is "hot hot hot" you may not need to update.

Best of luck and enjoy your new home!
Irene
I suggest you discuss with your lender the 403K loans, whereby you can borrow the money to upgrade the kitchen with your original purchase loan. If you are staying 7-10 years you will want to upgrade to enjoy it yourself. With money at 4.5% it will never be cheaper. It you are going to spend $10,000 to upgrade your payment will increase about $50 per month (which is tax deductible). So, discuss it with your lender. If they are not familiar with this loan, get another lender

Guy Berry
http://www.guyberry.com
Web Reference: http://www.guyberry.com
Is this something you are planning on upgrading while you are living there? If so it may be more cost effective to do it now then later. This way the builder's warranties and manufacture warranties will be in place. Once you make any changes to new construction you change what warranties are covered. This includes lighting (the wiring to the lights), etc. So ask your sale rep. to go over the warranties and what the cost of upgrades will be.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Replacing a slide in with a freestanding doesn't require cutting through the counter top. But it does require you to remove the backsplash behind the range.

Usually the more integrated the appliance is, the higher end it looks and thus fetching a higher price. So built-in > slide-in > freestanding. Make sure you are getting an upgrade, not a downgrade.

I would also get the model numbers of the included range and the upgrade range, find out the market prices of both and determine whether the upgrade cost is reasonable.
I recommend that if you plan to live there for at least 7 to 10 years that you select the appliances that are best for you.

On resale after 7 to 10 years market preferences will have changed and the appliances will have had a lot of use. The difference between upgraded appliances and standard appliances will probably not have a great effect on the sale price after 7 to 10 years.

In general I recommend that you consider the upgraded appliances rather than the standard appliances.

The ugraded appliances are usually of better quality and reliability and are usually a small part of the cost of purchasing the property.
I would go with what ever looked and felt best in your kitchen. It is a personal choice. I also like the slide in ranges.

Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
dre# 01397256
I manage apartment buildings that have several different appliance configurations, including slide-ins, separate cooktops and ovens, and freestanding units. 99% of the time we do the modifications needed to install a freestanding unit when the unit being replaced is a slide-in. Freestanding units are typically half the price of slide-ins and there are often more choices of color, style, etc. You will probably not replace the stove as often as we do in the rentals, but anyone buying your home in the future may prefer freestanding. It does come down to your personal choice, however.
Hello Rashmi,

If you're looking to sell your property in 7-10 years you're probably going to need to update appliances by then to get the best return on your investment. So I would take into consideration the cost of upgrading now vs. replacement later which will undoubtedly include replacing the kitchen counter top. I would suggest doing a little research. Find out how much it would cost to replace the counter tops vs. what your builder is charging for the appliance upgrade. This should help you make a better decision. Best of luck to you.
It is completely a personal choice, I prefer a slide in for all the obvious reasons, good luck