Home Buying in Strongsville>Question Details

Hollywoodhil…, Home Seller in Parma, OH

Should I sell now or wait until Spring?

Asked by Hollywoodhills, Parma, OH Thu Nov 5, 2009

Looking to sell my home in Strongsville at the end of the month. I'm going to price it to sell so it hopefully sells within 60 days. My question is should i wait until the Spring to sell or now? With the holidays coming, I'm not sure what I should do.

Answers

6
That has always been the question. Some agents will tell you that spring is the best time because kids are out of school, the flowers are blooming and your home will show at it's best. This is all true,.. however first it would be wise to identify who the most likely buyer for your home is.

Is your neighborhood filled with school age children, consisting of families that are either first time buyers or the first or second move up. Or is your neighborhood filled with people who's kids have by in large grown and moved away,..

Is it a professional neighborhood that has been subject to transfers? What are your own needs relating to moving forwards with your life? What is driving the need to sell? A Transfer,.. or is it simply a "want" to??

Whether to put the home on the market now or in the Spring will much depend upon the answers to those questions.

If your neighbors are by in large professionals that are subject to transfer,.. the spring may not be as big of a factor. However if your neighbors have school age kids and have moved into your neighborhood from another district or school area,.. those Buyers "may" choose to wait until the school year is over.

All of that being stated I would likely hold off mid December to Mid January,.. during this time I have found people to be too focused on the holidays and then recovery thereof to be really actively looking for real estate,.. with some exceptions,.. However If you plan on listing right after the holidays,.. make sure you get some pictures of the home all decorated out for them,.. they will be good marketing materials as houses tend to sparkle during this time of year.

Just my thoughts.
Web Reference: http://www.springsnet.net
Since you are wishing a quick sale, I believe you are on the right track with pricing the home correctly. Decide the absolute price you would be willing to accept and work from there. The holidays are a little stressful to say the least, but I believe that buyers are always looking. A good deal is simply that and the month is rather meaningless. You can discuss how the home will be shown directly with your realtor. Stage the home to sell and begin doing some research on the internet. If you have an agent, discuss this with your realtor. I would get it ready and put it on the market. Home buyers want to use that tax credit now.
GREAT QUESTION:

Many home buyers are busy with holiday activities, shopping, travel, kids out of school, decorating, social events, prefer not search for a home from Thanksgiving thru 1st of new year.

Have your listing pull DOM determine what is 3 year history best time place home active on market. You don't want allot of days then agents will wonder what is wrong with home. Much comes into play when listing a home for sale.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
Hollywood,

There is no real advantage to withholding a home from the market because of the lack of activity because of the closeness of the holidays.

It is true that some potential buyers may withhold their interest to focus their attention on other matters , however, there may be people actively searching that, because of their urgency, can not afford to put their search on hold.

The holidays find people traveling to other locations and exploring new opportunities. By working around the holidays, you could be missing this activity.

If you are a motivated seller, our recommendation is to get started sooner than later............

Best wishes,

The Eckler team

It sounds like you want to sell fairly quickly. With the Extension and Expansion of the First Time Buyer Tax Credit likely being signed by President Obama soon you may want to consider whether this will impact your home sale. The Expansion portion of this stimulus will allow a $6,500 Tax Credit to repeat buyers that have been in their current home for 5 consecutive years. This could be good news for sellers whose homes may not be in the typical First Time Buyer price range. If this is true in your case, you may want to position your home to take advantage of this new stimulus since a buyer will have to be under contract by April 30, 2010 and close by June 30, 2010. Waiting until the Spring Market may not give you enough time. Additionally, if you have been in your current home 5 years or more, you may want to take advantage of the Tax Credit as well! You would also need to be under contract to purchase befor April 30.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have additional questions.
There's no doubt the peak selling season in the Greater Cleveland area begins in the Spring. However, there are always buyers in the market, and the selection of properties available for sale, dwindles during the winter months and Holidays, leaving fewer homes for serious buyers to pick from. By waiting, you just might miss the ideal buyer looking specifically for the features your home has. As an agent, showing homes decorated for the Holidays can be enjoyable and buyers emotions indirectly can be affected by a priced right, inviting home.
Web Reference: http://www.cjharrington.com