Home Buying in Canton>Question Details

Denise G., Home Buyer in 48187

Should I hire a Realtor that one one my good friend recommends or should I hire the most highly rated Realtor in my area?

Asked by Denise G., 48187 Mon Jan 23, 2012

Answers

20
Good Afternoon Denise!

A lot of the above answers have truth to them - although you should interview multiple Realtors, a good referral (someone who KNOWS you and LIKES you) from a friend who is boasting an EXCELLENT experience is worth more than a "high rating"

Ratings are great and they can give you an independent opinion of someone's work. Unfortunately, all reviews and ratings aren't always true or informative.

As Joe noted, you should feel immediately comfortable with the person you are hiring. Buying or Selling a home takes a little while and you are putting your trust in and spending time with this person. The relationship and communication you have with your Realtor is an investment - that will hopefully work out well for both of you in the end.

I have over 18 years of experience in all aspects of Real Estate and my #1 concern is my clients and matching them with the perfect home for them! I would love to speak with you and have a chance to become your Realtor! Please contact me at allison@allisonmovesyou.com!

Also, please check out my recent blog post on this very topic!
Denise,
You've gotten lots of good answers and I'm sure your head is probably swimming. In my opinion, both are important considerations. Just make sure that whatever criteria is being used for the "highly rated" as well as why your friend is recommending a particular person (not just because it's a family member, etc.) make sense to you. You have to have confidence in whomever you choose to represent your best interests. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
You need to find someone you work well with, everyone has a different personality and i would want to
work with someone that is willing to spend time with me, not someone pushing for a quick sale.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Excellent Realtor that really cares about the needs of her clients! I highly recommend her services!
Flag Wed Apr 18, 2012
is this an agent who has done a great job for your friend or just someone they know. If they've done a great job for your friend, likely would do a great job for you too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Honestly, I would say that the term "Highly rated" is a subjective term.
There are websites that people can rate Realtors, but I don't think they are particularly accurate.

If I were you, maybe you can hold a series of interviews with some people who reply on here to your question AND the referral from your friend so you can see whom you have the best level of comfort with.

Buying a home is a very personal experience and you want to connect closely with your Realtor. Take a few moments and conduct a thorough search of a few agents locally who are well-connected, in tune with your community of choice and timely with reply. Also, check our profile pages and past answers and see whom you think may be a good fit.

If you want more info or need help, feel free to let me know. We're in Plymouth :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
You should hire a Realor that you are most comfortable with and can trust after meeting them. First impressions are very important. I have found that while working with clients in the process of buying or selling a house that the relationship grows during that time and we become friends with mutual respect for each other once the process is completed.
Web Reference: http://www.joebertera.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Most highly rated by what criteria? There are many ways to evaluate a REALTOR. I can't really think of a reliable source that would tell you the "most highly rated" REALTOR in your area. I would recommend you get some recommendations, select 3 to interview and make your choice after doing a bit of due diligence.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Who could answer that? You are getting two opinions, one from your friend and one from someone else. I would speak to both and pick one. Often the highly rated ones might be all hype, but you have to decide.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Your friends recommendation is the one!! If that agent did a good enough job for your friend to recommend them to you than you know you will be taken care of. Sometimes a "Highly Rated" Realtor isn't just one person, it is a team of different people. Chances are you wouldn't be working directly with that top agent you may be working with a buyers agent who has less experience or little knowledge. If you aren't happy with this answer you could always interview both agents and find out which one you want to work with!
What a great question and love the answers on this post. As a few have said interview your friends agent and maybe one or two others. Then you can compare who you feel best about and go that direction.
I'm curious if you are working with a Realtor and if you took the advise of your good friend. There is nothing wrong with interviewing a few agents because the person that worked well for your friend might not for you. On the other hand they could be the agent for you. Whoever represents you make sure you get your questions answered and you inderstand the process every step of the way.

I too would take the recommendation of a friend over someone 'highly' rated by other standards. Many times the top agent isn't the one who would do the best for you. Finding someone you know has done a good job for someone you know is important.
Between the two, hire the one your friend recommends.
Hello Denise,

I would strongly recomend that you interview your good friends referral. I would also suggest that you select another Realtor to interview who specializes in working with buyers such as an Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR), link below for more information. In the end, you'll want a Realtor on your side who has the experience and knowledge to negoiate the best price and terms for your new home. Good Luck!
Denise,

Good Morning!!

I would tend to recommend you interview the agent your friend recommend. A "highly rated Realtor" could be anyone. If they work with foreclosure listings they may be highly rated but they don't tend to work with buyers. Whoever you choose you should be comfortable with and able to build a rapport with. This is one of the biggest financial decisions you'll make and you need to be comfortable with the agent your working with.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
I agree with Marge...she gave you excellent advice!
Denise,
Your friend made a recommendation based on a need you expressed. You may have actually asked your friend for a recommendation. Your choice is to dismiss your friend or respect your friend.

Highly rated? More data needed.
You should hire the agent that you feel will do the best job.

Why not interview both of them, listen to what they have to say and hire the one you have the most confidence in.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
To Jon,

I Loved Your Answer!! You had me laughing to myself, I love how direct and to the point you were.

Denise, I would call Jon, he went straight to the point.

HAIG
Elias Realty
(248) 379-6547
realtorhaig@aol.com
Denise,
Maureen basically confirmed my thoughts. What does 'Highly Rated" mean ? The Realtor with the most listings is not necessarily the best. So, do your due diligence and interview your friends Realtor and another 2 other Realtors. You are looking for a Buyers Agent who will take the time to listen to your needs. You can access my web site below to look at homes in Canton currently on the market. Thanks. Happy House Hunting , Steve
Web Reference: http://www.michiganhome.net