Bane, Renter in Chicago, IL

Should I have any concerns about Oakwood Shores on 39th & Vincennes?

Asked by Bane, Chicago, IL Fri Aug 17, 2012

Can any realtors/agents in the North Kenwood/Bronzeville area give an honest analysis on the Oakwood Shores properties. Found the apts online and everything looks great (from the outside looking in). I called and they even have a great 1br apartment (~925 sq ft) available for a price that's very comfortable for me. My concern, however, is that there may be a possibility that I'd be neighbors with a rowdy section 8 bunch or just get involved in living conditions that I wasn't expecting. Does anyone in the area have some actual unbiased details they can give me about the property?

I have a visit scheduled for next Thursday to check out the apt. I just want some input beforehand.

Answers

10
I live in Oakwood shores and I have lived here for over 5 years and my daughter was recently stuck up in the back of our house by someone that didn't even live in the neighborhood. So just because something is going on in your neighborhood doesn't mean it's someone from that particular neighborhood sometimes people come to our neighborhoods to conduct whatever they're trying to conduct and then they run off back to their neighborhood then they might be just as bad or bad so no matter where you are and how things may appear in a neighborhood doesn't always mean that that neighborhood is bad. Who's going to do some- dirt to someone in their own neighborhood to only be confronted eventually? So no matter where you are and where you go its going to always be trouble you just have to pay attention to your surroundings and just be safe try to keep yourself safe at all times no matter where you are. But Oakwood shores is a really nice place to live in the apartments are beautiful and I don't have section 8 but I still think that it's a beautiful place to live. And it has nothing to do with who pays what who's paying market rent or who's paying low subsidized rent it's all about the individual and their mindset. But good luck and God blessings to you all. M.K.L.
There were a couple of break ins from 2007 to 2009 but the management company put a end to those shenanigans real quick. A lot of the tenants in Oakwood Shores who were originally from the projects have been evicted from their brand new apartments in Oakwood Shores. You know the saying, "You can take them out the hood, but you can't take the hood out of them"? it's true for some.
I'm just now coming across this article a year and a half late but I would still like to comment. Oakwood Shores is a very beautiful place to live. Oakwood Shores is a far cry from what used to sit on the land which was the fame Chicago Housing Authority projects Ida B. Wells, Francis Darrow Homes, and Madden Park Homes. The new housing right next to Oakwood Shores are nice too, Jazz On The Boulevard and Lake Park Crescent. Oakwood Shores is a mixed income community as they say. In my opinion the cost of living in these areas have skyrocketed do to the gentrification and revitalization going on in the area and it's surroundings. Oakwood Shores is decent other than the fact that you still have a lot of people from the projects who now inhabit Oakwood Shores with the same mindset they had when they were in Ida, Darrow and Madden. I do believe a lot of the units have bed bug infestations and maintenance barely keep up with their work orders. I'm sorry, I forgot that only pertains to the poor renters. Oakwood Shores is very nice besidea the outrageous rent, the way they treat the low income renters and management changes they go through every other month. Did you move in? How is everything going?
I live in the area and I can say that I have seen positive changes in Oakwood/Bronzeville area. Although, my truck was broken into it isn't anything I haven't experienced elsewhere. What I enjoy most about my area is that even though I am minutes from the loop, there is a suburb feel. Mondrake park and Oakwood Beach are safe and I've never had issues strolling with my family at night.

As far as section 8, not all tenants who receive section 8 are rowdy. I have rented to section 8 tenants and found them to be the best while others...well...not so much.

I think going by the building at night and just watching the residents will tell you what you need to know. Many people make the mistake of deciding upon a place without analyzing the night traffic and are surprised when they spend their first night.

Flag Mon Feb 17, 2014
I can't speak for Oakwood shores but I do live at Lake Park Crescent, which is a mixed income community. There are tenants from all different backgrounds that pay rental amounts ranging from the ""affordable" rate to the full market price of $1600/month. In addition, there are also several condos further down the street. Overall, in the past 4 years as a resident, I feel very safe in community I even walk my dogs pretty late into the night so that they can play outside without being distracted by other dogs. Now I will agree though.... As long as you're looking, try to steer clear of areas north of 40th street because it's like a whole new world over there. Believe it or not, the corner of 39th& Lake Park always seems to be too lively.... but otherwise the neighbourhood is pretty quiet and relaxing in the summer and it's convenient to the expressways, downtown, Hyde Park, the South Loop and much more. I don't plan on leaving and I hope to purchase a condo over there soon as well.
I would not buy west of cottage grove-if you buy, do Oakwood shores, not bronzeville which is still very much a dump. I've lived in both Woodlawn through its change and now Oakwood shores which is North kenwood. The best area of it is on Drexel Blvd between 43rd to the park . Don't go past the park. That is low income. The southside is all about pockets. You gotta make sure you get into an area where its mostly owners and NOT renters. Thats key and that is the case on Drexel Blvd between these areas.

Realtors can't give you an honest answer on this one because they are not allowed to.
Visit the area and see if you like the neighborhood. As per the building when you visit ask who else is living in the building.
Bane,

It is best to spend some time in the areas you are interested in. Visit at different times of day and on the weekends. Walk around the block, talk to neighbors....

Best of luck,
Ivan Sagel
312-515-7823
We cant give any information for what you are looking for. I would go there at different times of the day and night. Only you will know whats right for you.
Agents cannot talk about things like security etc. Check with the police about crime statistics for that area/building. Drive by in the evening or different times of the day/night and speak with some of the neighbors.