Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

Stephanie, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

Should I go with my realtor friend who lives in another city to buy a house or should I seek a new realtor local to my area?

Asked by Stephanie, Fremont, CA Mon May 14, 2012

Answers

16
Lot's of great answers below. Nothing wrong with using a friend, but know what you are getting into at the start. If your friend lives far from where you are looking to buy, consider that. More than likely, viewing homes will have to be a compromise on both sides due to distance/travel. I have seen friendships get torn apart due to this exact thing. Just be careful. If this is a good friend, it may not be worth putting your relationship at risk. Good friends are hard to find!

Bryan Van Heusen
(510) 557-5952
Web Reference: http://www.VHREG.com
I am sure you feel loyal to your friend and that is great. It is okay to go with your friend as long as she or he feels comfortable selling in Fremont. My clients ask me to sell them homes out of my area since they are too far. I have to refuse although I really appreciate the fact that they asked me. I have given referrerals to local agents and they have done a good job. So talk to your agent and see what she/he says.

Meena Gujral
Achievers Realty
925-425-9491
If you are considering hiring your friend, do it because they are a fantastic agent and able to help you as they are close enough to deal logistically and smart enough to get up to speed fast on the area if they aren't already.. If you are considering hiring them just because they are your friend, bad idea.

Here is a blog I wrote on why it matters so much who you hire:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/lance_king/2009/09/it_does_matter…

Hope that helps

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Hi Stephanie,

This is really tough to answer because none of us know how far away your friend is from Fremont nor your friend's capabilities, training and experience.

For the most part, the mechanics and skills of listing/selling property are transferrable to any area in CA. While I DO NOT discount the value of local knowledge about individual areas; it is not necessarily required. Websites like http://www.WalkScore.com , http://www.Yelp.com , http://www.crimereports.com , http://www.schoolandhousing.com ; and yes, Facebook / Google+ and others can help bridge the gap of local knowledge - and quite frankly, you should be performing your own independent research as well regarding what is especially important to YOU, not necessarily what your agent believes is important to you.

As far as making your representation decision, I would suggest you sit down with your friend and discuss your expectations, needs, wants, and concerns; then, take a day or two to mull things over and go with your gut based on past interactions with your friend and his/her personality.

If you find it necessary or desire a local Realtor® there will be plenty to pick from as they respond to your question. Checking their profiles and answers to questions here on Trulia should be helpful as well.

-Steve
Hi Stephanie, as long as your friend has acces to the MLS for the area you want to buy in she will not have any problem helpimg you. She will need the access to get you the current listings and to look at recent solds so you will know what to offer....Dawn
I would set up a phone interview with the new Realtor. You have to be comfortable that this new Realtor will be your advocate, and has the market knowledge you need. Always remember, you, your /Realtor, the lender, inspectors and trades will form a team to buy your new property. You all have to be able tocommunicate well with each other, and you must feel secure that your agent is looking after your needs and concerns.

Set up an interview, and then decide what to do.
HI Stephanie,

Whether from the local area or a friend, pick a good realtor who has the knowledge and experience of property search & valuation, negotiation, transaction & legal process; and, fiduciary responsibility. Find a realtor who can bring your transaction to the closing table

If you feel a certain level of loyalty to your friend, ask him to help find you a suitable agent where you are buying, and then your friend can get a referral fee.

We see so many cases where friends/associates who live in different cities far from where you want to buy can mess up the buyer because of lack of knowledge about local market, local point-of-sale ordinances.

Best that you work with someone who knows the area well to serve you. Your friend can assist on another level.
Hi Stephanie,
As the others have stated, using your friend is a good thing.
but - is the friend full-time? knowledgable in real estate selling? still licensed?
Unless your friend lives hours away, it would be great to talk and discuss your needs.

Brian
http://brianripp.com/buyer-links/
Thank you all for your great advice! I will call him and if he can't help, get a referral or seek a local realtor myself.
Hi Stephanie,

I would for sure ask my realtor friend first. and expect him to tell me if he can help me or not. If he can not help due to distance or local area expertise I would find local agent.

Ashok
The key is if they are well expereinced in the area you are looking in. If so use them. if not you may want an agent from the area you are looking in.
here's a win-win situation for everyone, ask your realtor friend to refer a local agent for you and your realtor friend can get a referral fee from the local agent when you purchase a house.
No reason not to consider your friend, therefore have a discussion and go from there....
Sometimes it's better to have a local realtor to help you since it's a business transaction and he will know more about local situations.

I can always change a realtor if he/she does a bad job, but friend is hard to do....
You should go with the friend; that's what friends are for.
If he is not a member of the local MLS, he can get a temp membership.
Imagine the hurt if you didn't ask him?

Good luck and may God bless