Christina Me…, Real Estate Pro in Attleboro, MA

Should I get my own agent before I start looking or should I just work with the agent selling the house when I see one I like?

Asked by Christina Metrano Estey, Attleboro, MA Sun Feb 10, 2013

Answers

16
When possible, buyers should always, always, always have their own personal representation.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Beware - there are many licensees who will try and scare you into being "listed" as a buyer.

The laws and regulations regarding the real estate transaction process are proven and professional.
There are many true professionals who both list and sell a listing - in the business it is called completing both sides.
Experienced professionals often do both sides.

The more you look around, the more you will find out what a real estate professional is.
Experience, ethics, a good ear, and a current knowledge of the properties on the market are most important and most useful.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 12, 2013
Good afternoon Chris,

First steps:

Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

Get a referral to a good, local, real estate attorney. Call the attorney, retain the attorney so you have her information handy when you make an offer. Having that information at time of offer helps you demonstrate to the Seller how serious you are, and they will consider your offer with more interest.
NEW YORK ONLY

Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!
Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
yewe have been seeking a 2+ bedroom ranch in the Lake Nabnasset area. Other family members moved there a few years back. Would like to purchase something in the area of $300,000 to $300,500
if available
Avoid working with an agent that takes listings/represents sellers. Find yourself an exclusive buyer's agent whose only job is to help you find the home YOU want for the best price, not sell you one of their own listings. It will save you time and thousands of dollars in the end.

I also suggest you find your buyer's agent before you start looking. it protects you and your buyer's agent.

Hope that helps!

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Brokerage
617 848 5407 x701
Web Reference: http://territory.com
I fyou are 100% comfortable buying without any guidance sure you can look at homes without an agent, however if you are not 100% comfortable,than you should have a buyer broker who will guide you through each step of the buying process and look out for your best interests.
Hi Chris

The listing agent represents the seller, you will want an agent to represent you in the transaction. I grew up in Lowell and work throughout the Merrimack Valley and Southern NH. Give me a call and I will give you my 27 page Buyers Package free of charge.

Tom Courtney
Remax Prestige
tcourtney@remaxprestige.com
(978) 265-7917
Hi Chris,

You should absolutely without a question get your own agent, an
agent that will represent you not the seller. The seller agent will
reppresent the seller and not you.

Good luck in your search,

Yvonne
508-735-1477
Hi Chris - The agent selling the house represents the seller, not you--if you buy through that agent you will have nobody representing your interests. Definitely get your own agent, preferably an ABR (Accredited Buyer Agent). If you will write to or call me directly I can refer you to someone who will do a good job for you. And good luck.

Ellen G. Friedman, PhD, ABR, Realtor
ellengfriedman@comcast.net
617-448-1542
http://www.ellenfriedmanhomes.com
Go to a few open houses and find someone who you think you would like to work with.
Get your own. If you are looking and ready to move definitely get your own. Let me know if we can help Info@wenrealty.com
Yes most definitely get your own agent to represent you and your best interests.
If you want representation and help in getting all your question answered you should have your own buyer agent. The listing agent works for the seller, a buyer agent would work for you and be paid from the listing commissions.
Chris,
I agree with Joyce. It doesnt cost you anything to have a REALTOR help you find a house. This way you have a professional who is on your side and can help you in the negotiations and tell you if a home is the right buy for you.
Hello Chris,
It would be best to have your own real estate agent to assist you in your search for a home. The main reason being that they will work for you in your best interests. The listing agent represents the seller in the seller's best interests; not yours. You agent can show you properties that most closely match your criteria, discuss what similar homes have sold for recently in the area, and negotiate in your behalf the terms that you prefer. And, usually working with a buyer's agent is a free service so why not take advantage of their experience, skills and service?

Best wishes!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Chris,

Having your own Buyer Agent is the way to look out for your own best interest. The Agent Selling the house represents the Seller, not the Buyer and if by chance they do "disclosed dual agency" they truly represent neither of you, as they must remain neutral.

j