Annie Nguyen,  in 19145

Should I get another home inspection just to make sure that the seller fix all the problems that he agreed to?

Asked by Annie Nguyen, 19145 Fri May 29, 2009

Settlement is next week for me and I'm just wondering should I get another home inspection just to make sure that the seller fix all the problems that he agreed to fixed from the home inspections and appraisal that I got? I'm worry what if he pretend that he fixed the problem but not fixing it? I know i can get a walk through but I just want to be on the safe side....don't want to stuck with broken home...advice please

Answers

5
Check with your original home inspector. They will often go back and re-inspect specific items for a small charge. Better safe then sorry!
In most States, there is A due diligence period to obtain the inspections and additional time to verify that the repairs have been cured. Your Realtor is aware of this period as stated in your contract. Most contracts allow for A walk through prior to closing. Check with your Realtor and your contract for this information. Good Luck!
Some home inspectors will go back to re-inspect after the repairs have been made by the seller. Some charge a small fee while others offer this service as part of their follow up service. I think it would be wise to ask your first inspector if he/she offers this service.
Web Reference: http://michelerumbley.com
Annie,

This is an excellent question.....

Generally, the buyer will request reciepts for the work that has been identified for repair. This should provide enough documentation that the work has been accomplished.

If this will not suffice, people on occasion, will contract with the original inspector, to have them review the work for completion.....not a reinspection. This can be accomplished in a fraction of the original time for a minimal fee.

Since this is a concern to you I think it would be a good investment, if nothing else for your piece of mind. The home inspector you used should charge you less to just inspect the problems the seller was supposed to fix. Ask him or her upfront though, so there are no misunderstandings.