HMC, Other/Just Looking in West Covina, CA

Should I consider the age of the furnace and roof (19 years) in my negotiating price?

Asked by HMC, West Covina, CA Wed Jan 16, 2013

Answers

8
P.S. Be certain to have a professional home inspection. It is also advisable to have roofing and HVAC companies examine the the property.
Of course. You should consider everything. However, right now there is very low inventory and houses are selling faster and at a higher price due to multiple bids, so I suggest you work with your agent and follow his/her advice.
Hi HMC,

Buyers should consider everything when making an offer. The best person to answer your question, is the buyer's agent that you are currently using. If you are not using the expertise of a buyer's agent, and going straight with the listing agent,; then, that's another story altogether.

For example, is the house priced right? Would you lose the offer if you ask for too much in a multiple offers market? Is the roof still serviceable, or too many repairs on it?
And finally, how important is the house to you, if the roof stays as it is?

Talk to your agent about your concerns. If you do not have an agent, or have not place an offer on a house, contact an expert on this board to represent you, or contact me.

Douglas Lagos
Realtor, Certified HAFA Specialist (CHS )
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference: http://www.douglaslagos.com
There are many factors to consider when placing an Offer on a home. But I wouldn't explain in writing, or verbalize, the reason for the offered amount. It will serve no purpose other than to sabotage your negotiations. Usually the pricing is in accordance with the market - and in the end the appraiser will determine the property value. Consider purchasing a home warranty at closing.
We just replaced our furnace yesterday, it worked well for 51yrs. Our new furnace cost $6700, a basic furnace was $3700, we opted for a more energy efficient furnace with the possibility of adding a gas powered A/C unit to it some day if we wanted to. In the Seal Beach area, it just hasn't been worth it for us to put in A/C for the 3wks or so out of the year we would really want it.

As already answered most roofs are good for 30-50yrs.

Just get a home warranty & read the fine print on what is covered should your furnace die on you.

Shoot me an email directly if you'd like to talk about this further, I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Short Sale Specialist - 100% success rate
It would depend on if this is a regular or as-is sale. It is best to have a home inspection preformed to get an idea of the condition of the roof and furnace. You can alway negioate after the home inspection if repairs are needed. I with speak with your Realtor if you have any concerns and advice on your offer. Good luck!
You can factor this in into your offer. However, as Ruth and Perry mentioned, ask your realtor and review the comparables for the subject property.

Also, consider the market trend wherein the property is located. The law of supply and demand should be taken into consideration.

Best.
Hi HMC

A furnace can last a long time 25-50 years, so does a roof depending on
type of material used .

Do a roof inspection and figure out the expected life of the roof and call out
a Furnace inspection company.

If the market is rising a seller is unlikely to give you credit or lower the price.
If the market is flat or there are plenty of homes then go ahead.

What does your Realtor advise.

Have you done comparables of similar homes ?

Goodluck
Ruth

http://www.trulia.com/blog/perry_mistry/
Web Reference: http://ruthandperry.com/