Home Buying in Janesville>Question Details

tmonet, Home Buyer in Janesville, WI

Should I buy or rent in Janesville if I'll be there 3 years? I see so many homes for sale… Would I get my money back selling the house in 3

Asked by tmonet, Janesville, WI Wed Mar 12, 2014

years?

Answers

3
It's hard to say what will happen with the market over the coming years. If the past few years are an indication, the direction is up though. Home prices have been rising for some time now. You will have to weigh the advantages of owning a home or renting and then decide if those outweigh the risks of possibly losing some money when you sell.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision and would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Michael Collins
Rock Realty
608-921-8536
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 12, 2014
Just remember when u rent, u lose that $ anyway. $1,500 per month for 12 months is $18,000 a year. Times 3 years is $54,000..
Flag Sun Jul 13, 2014
This solution is not for everybody, it's just another angle to look at your situation. I had a friend that bought a run-down, distressed property and during the few years she lived there, she slowly fixed and updated the majority of the house. The updates/repairs/improvements were so vast that she was able to re-sell in a few short years at a profit.

Again, I stress that this is not always an option. Many factors go into whether a house is a viable candidate for a medium term flip and sell. Please conduct more research if you are interested in this option. Good luck.
As Mike said it is hard to say so it is anybody's guess. In general I think 3 years is a little too short of a time frame to buy and sell profitably.