Tkay, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

Should I buy in Shaw? There is a gorgeous condo at 5th and O, and it's priced well, but I'm not sure about

Asked by Tkay, Washington, DC Fri Aug 15, 2008

safety. If you can't comment on safety, then what about the prospects of the shaw real estate market? Where else would you suggest buying (in expectation of future growth)?

Answers

5
Yes, real estate professionals cannot comment on safety except to say use due diligence which can include interviewing people on the street and potential neighbors. There are crimes against property and crimes against person and truly, in an urban setting, it's impossible to find any area that is entirely free of either, all the time. Take precautions but your own feeling of what's safe is the only thing that counts.
As for the real estate potential of Shaw, it should be huge considering the development not only on the books but actually being constructed. Look to the neighbor in Logan and you can see changes pushing ahead. There's a caveat about visitng your targeted property location day, night and weekends so I would advise you to do the same with the property you have in mind.
Shaw is a very Is a great area with alot of growth coming. There are so many new things coming as far as housing. There is the rebirth of the o street market. There are new hotels coming around the convention center. New places to eat and shop are coming. Its a great place to get in at reasonable prices!
Logan/Shaw area is a great place to live and new development is popping up all around. I have listed a great piece at 212 P,NW, exciting things happening all around the area!
Hi, I lived in 20009 for 10 years, some of it when it was still really rough, before 14th street turned around. My husband and I raised our daughter to the age of 17. I'd do it over again, and after gentrification I sold for a very nice profit. It was a great place to raise a kid. But, you've got to be street smart, and not the type to get despondent when you run into folks on the street who rightfully should be hospitalized or receiving mental health care. You have to absolutely be willing to take a cab when it is late. This sounds so simple, but when it is late and if you're short on funds, you might take short cuts. Don't put yourself in situations to get mugged. Also, spend the money for better security on your home. I had an ADT system with screens on the house which would also set off the alarm if they were cut or removed. It saved me from two attempted robberies -- this is particularly true if you have hidden entrances such as fire escapes near windows or skylights. Despite that, we had one forced entry when we were out, and one item taken from our yard. You can't be afraid of taking proper security measures, but you have to do it. If you don't like thinking like this, then don't live in an emerging urban area. However, if you love the city like I did, then the positives will vastly outweigh these precautions. Finally, after 10 years in Dupont Circle (east), and 18 years in Government contracting, I said enough and moved out to the rural eastern shore!
Web Reference: http://www.hebell.net
I actually live in this neighborhood and know it well. There is much development in the Mt Vernon Square area. The new Safeway, Results Gym, Starbucks and other businesses will soon be opening in the huge City Vista complex a couple of blocks away. Developers are doing much in this area and even in the slower real estate market - it is seeing growth.

Safety is an issue that each person must think about for themselves. I would talk to some neighbors and ask them; but again - everyone has a different take on "Safety".