Home Buying in Grand Rapids>Question Details

Kaushal Bhatt, Other/Just Looking in

Should I build if I have a specific plan in mind ?

Asked by Kaushal Bhatt, Wed Jun 27, 2012

I want to know if it ends up being cheaper having a home built vs. buying an already build one. I am asking because I have a specific plan in mind. I did some internet research on the topic and found that most websites say it would end up being cheaper which I find difficult to believe. I want a rather realistic answer.

Answers

5
That depends on how strict and unique your plan is. If you are looking for every detail to be perfect, then you are most likely not going to be able to find what you are looking for in a resale situation. However, if you have some flexibility, you can find a home that fits what you are looking for and make the necessary modifications to make it the home you want. Building your dream home can be very expensive, but it may be the only option if you are strict about what you need in your house. Let me know if I can help find you a home that you could turn into your dream home, and then we could go through the costs of what it would take to make it perfect.
Web Reference: http://www.brekschutten.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 27, 2012
Hey Kaushal, it depends is the best answer... Buying a house and doing a 203K loan to rehab and upgrade is usually cheaper but could take awhile to find the "bones" you are looking for. I work primarly with foreclosures and have a great 203K specialist for financing and also just got done building a house for my daughter; give me a call so we can discuss further.

Dave @ 616-866-5974

Thanks, look forward to speaking with you shortly and we will find you something. Have a great day!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 27, 2012
I have many clients (can provide references) that I have helped with building as opposed to buying existing recently and it is a GREAT time to build! Can't think of a time in the last 30 years where you could build so much house for such low prices. Compare the square footage price on a 15 year old house to that of a brand new build and it will speak for itself. Happy to help! Just give me a call at 616-217-7902 We also offer our clients a BUYERS rebate up to 1% of the build price. Don't know of any other Realtors who do that!
With the market down as it is you can rarely, if ever, be able to build at the same price as an existing home. The major advantages of building is that everything is new and that it is to your design. The disadvantages are that it can be from a little to a lot more expensive. Even after paying for the new home and moving it, there are many more expenses, ie. window treatments, lawn/landscaping, closet organizers, gutters,etc. that are often overlooked and are rarely in a new home package.
Cheaper to build???? NOT in my area, not in my lifetime.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time