Rodney Edwar…, Renter in Anacortes, WA

Should I be worried if a Realtor tells me to go ahead an view the inside of the house without anyone present?

Asked by Rodney Edwards, Anacortes, WA Tue May 8, 2012

I think its a little odd that someone would tell you where the key is and view the house without anyone present. Shouldn't they be worried that a neighbor would call the police thinking that it is a trespasser or even worse someone already in the house that shouldn't be?

Answers

10
This is a violation of both Realtor ethics and MLS regulations. The Realtor can lose his license. Stay away and find a professional.
Yes you should, and so should they. One of the rules the agents must follow, if they are part of the North West Multiple Listing Service, and the home is listed, we are not allowed to leave a client unattended in a home without the sellers specific authority - which is rarely asked for or given. This all assumes it's a listed property.

That being said, there are occasions when it would be ok, and there are occasions where an agent has permission to do that - but it's rare.

If you'd like an agent who will stick around while you view a home, answer questions and help out, let me know!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
Yes! That would be a very bad realtor! Call me. I would be happy to help. Mel Foley. 360-770-3115
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
Hi Mel, how are you? It's so good to be back home in Beautiful California.
Flag Wed May 23, 2012
Yes indeed ....you should be very worried! Clearly, the home does not have a lock box fitted on the front door (only licensed Agents can access the key inside the lock box).... and if the key is hidden somewhere else, the agent is violating so many rules by telling you where it is. This is NOT an Agent anyone should be happy working with, and I suggest find another Agent whose integrity stands firm. CALL ME !!! :)
I would get away from that real estate agent as quickly as I could, because it is a rule violation, not to mention a bad business practice. If they are willing to do that, what other things will they do in violation of the rules or professional conduct.
Yes, be very worried. If that agent (Realtor is a Licensed term and he/she may not be one) is that carless with a Seller's home, I would question where else that agent takes risks and liberties with other's valuables.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
I agree with everyone. I would call a different agent if I were you.
A realtor should never advise a client to enter a home without proper representation. Like, Irina said, it puts everyone at risk. I would find another person to represent you. I am available and so are many other capable professionals.

I hope this helps!

If you would like to contact me, I can introduce you to our proprietary software search engine.
As the others say, that's not professional behavior and likely violates certain specific regulations.

If it was a listing agent, you need to get your own Realtor. Not just to show you houses, but to protect your interests in all stages of the purchasing process. Please don't rely on the listing agent for that.

If it was your own agent, tell your agent that you want to be accompanied whenever you view a property. (It's a lot more serious than that, but that explanation ought to be good enough to to have him/her with you.) If it is your own agent, and he/she won't accompany you, either speak to the agent's broker or consider whether you might possibly be better served by someone else.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hello Rodney,

This agent is not doing his job, putting the seller, you - as a buyer, and the neighbors at risk, just as you said. No one is supposed to visit the property without a realtor present (it could be either the listing agent or the selling agent, but some agent HAS TO be there with you). This should be reported to the board of realtors and to the listing agent/seller.

I hope you'll have someone better than this agent to help you buy.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com