Dan Kasey10, Home Buyer in Gresham, OR

Should I be concerned using the listing agent to write my offer on his listing?

Asked by Dan Kasey10, Gresham, OR Sun Jan 27, 2013

Answers

11
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
Actually Dan - I read through all of the responses here, and I think every agent answered you honestly - and no one popped out, to me, as just trying to "get your business".

You were told that dual agency is legal in Oregon, and if you feel comfortable, you can proceed with the listing agent...........if not, then find a new agent (which apparently you are doing).

Honest advice!

It's a pleasure (and rare) to read answers on a thread that don't all shout out: "Call me - call me" with a long sign off listing every phone and fax number they have, and every award they ever received. :)

Kudos and thumbs ups to everyone here!
Not necessarily. I have sold many of my own listings and entered into a "duel agency" with both parties. I can represent both parties honestly and careully to where all parties are very happy in the end. I guess it totally depends on how you feel about the listing agent, do you feel good about how he has responded to you this far?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
I really am not satisfied wih his answers and demeener. Can I now call him back and tell him I have a realtor? Would you be available this week in troutdale? I appreciate your honesty.
Thank you...
Flag Sun Jan 27, 2013
The agent can represent both the buyer and seller but have you signed the buyer agency agreement? Many brokerages don't allow it. In a lawsuit in most cases one party would not be represented by theisti.g agent. Do you want to be represented? It costs nothing, but you need trust in your realtor. Tom inglesby
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Thank you Robyn for your honesty, I feel you were not just trying to get my business by telling me what I wanted to hear. I have sent you an email through your profile.
Hopefully your available Wednesday to meet in Troutdale.
Dan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
I personally don't do business in gresham/troutdale and I think most of us here are trying to give you an honest answer.
Flag Sun Jan 27, 2013
It depends on what you are comfortable with. I have represented both buyer and seller many times. Do you trust your agent to write for you on any offer? Then why not one they have listed?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
In Oregon this is perfectly acceptable by law. I believe that having your own agent you trust is the best policy - the listing agent can represent you both - but my question to you is do you trust your best interest will be represented - if the answer is yes than so be it - if no - then find an agent you trust.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Yes!! The listing agent works for the seller, He is out to protect the seller's best interest. You need to be sure that You will receive a fair deal when You sign that dual agency form.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Absolutely. But it can be a no-win situation. In order to protect my own interests in a recent attempt to purchase my dream home, I obtained the services of a realtor to write my offer which was higher than a competing listing agent buyers offer. However, in order for the listing agent to avoid having to split her commission with a buyers realtor, she coaxed her seller into accepting a lower offer, reducing the total commission, netting the listing agent nearly double what she would have made otherwise.

That listing realtor worked my offer against her own and was working for own self interests. Realty business is still a crooked business, and it's not very well regulated. So, be careful, and don't take anybody's word for anything, and verify everything!
IMO, using a dual agent for you transaction may be legal, acceptable, and right but to insure there will be no conflict of interest, we always recommend that customers try to place themselves in a situation of having their own personal representation. Dual agency falls a bit short.....

Any agent that works a dual agency transaction from both sides that says they don't feel a bit uncomfortable in this environment isn't being completely honest!

Dan, you will be well-served having Robyn assist you in your home purchase. She is an excellent representative and always deals with each party fairly.

Good luck in your home search!
It happens all the time. The agent should act ethically in all situations. I wouldn't be concerned unless you feel the agent is somehow misrepresenting you or falsifying information.