Home Buying in Corvallis>Question Details

Corvallis Ho…, Home Buyer in Corvallis, OR

Should I be concerned that a house has a 2nd story bearing wall offset by a few inches from the 1st story bearing wall?

Asked by Corvallis Homeowner, Corvallis, OR Tue Aug 27, 2013

There are visible pillars sticking out in the hall of the 2nd story, they are there to transfer the load a few inches. Is this likely due to an error in construction? Should I have a structural engineer look at it? The top step of the split entry is also a bit shorter than the other steps. This is a one story house with daylight basement built in 1970s. Thanks for any insight.

Answers

4
Yes you should be concerned. If you can discern the inconsistencies of construction without benefit of formal education in the field, they must be glaring. If the house will collapse, better to hear about it in the news, than be on the news yourself giving a first hand account. Yes - concern! Yes - structural engineer!
If you have any questions about the structural integrity of a home you own or are considering purchasing, you want to find out facts. Real Estate Brokers are generally not qualified to answer questions about structural integrity (a few are also contractors and/or there may be some construction engineers, structural engineers etc. that also hold RE Licenses, but that would be an exception). You should absolutely get answers from qualified professionals.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for your replies. I feel like the builder did not apply basic math. It is concerning. I guess we will continue our quest for a property.
The best thing to do is to have a structural engineer look at it and a home inspection to make sure the rest of it is done correctly.