Home Buying in Utah>Question Details

Nate, Home Buyer in Draper, UT

Should/Can I fire my agent?

Asked by Nate, Draper, UT Thu Aug 12, 2010

Looking to buy my first home, but so far less than impressed with my agent. Maybe its my low budget or something, but my agent is not too enthusiastic to show me homes, its been over couple months and so far I have seen maybe 15 homes. Is that normal? Shouldn't he be working around my schedule or is that too much to ask? Also, shouldn't he be suggesting me and taking me to homes instead of me cherrypicking which ones I like. I already have made an offer to bank property but its not accepted yet and seems won't be since deadline has passed. What's the steps needed to fire someone, considering I have already made one offer.

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Utah

Answers

8
Nate,
Sounds like you just need a quick sit down to discuss your expectations. Your agent may be misreading your level of interest or maybe the schedules just aren't meshing for whatever reason.

You should give a minimum of 24 hours notice (but more is preferred) to your agent in order to schedule a house hunting outing. The agent has other clients and also has to call homeowners to make appointments well in advance.

Your agent should be sending you listings that meet the criteria you specified, but no, it is ultimately up to you to choose the ones you'd like to see. Most buyers will take the initiative to drive by the homes first, to see if they even like the neighborhood before schedule an appointment to see inside.

If you already have an offer on a property, it's not always a great idea to "keep shopping". That tells me you aren't serious about really wanting that home. (Time limits don't necessarily matter in bank owned properties) You'll need to get a status report on the offer to see if you have a shot. Otherwise, my advice is to withdraw the offer and shop for something you really want.

In the end, you can sever ties with an agent if you are both unhappy. If you decide to walk but purchase a home he showed you, it gets a little more complicated.

Hope this helps!
Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 12, 2010
thanks for the answers everyone, I guess in light of some properties that he has already shown me that I am interested in, it make sense to sit down and go over expectations and all and work it out. I made the mistake of never doing that when I first started working with him.
Nate - your agent should be doing whatever you want. My guess, is that the two of you aren't communicating well enough what's expected.

Maybe you should have a sit-down with your agent, and explain exactly what you expect, and he can tell you whether he works that way. If not, he might be able to recommend someone who does.

Otherwise, if he wants to maintain you as a buyer client (and in this market who can afford to discard a buyer), then he's going to have to alter the way he's current servicing you.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hello Nate,
Robin is right, you need to communicate to your agent your concerns and frustration. If they are aware and unwilling to meet your needs then you should discuss either reassignment to an agent in his brokerage or release from the agency agreement altogether. You need to remember that you have entered an agreement with the principle broker and his/her sub agent, it may be the principle brokers policy to try to resolve the issues before a release of the buyer/broker contract.

I have published and/or adapted numerous flyers for buyers and sellers to review and the online folder can be found at http://www.box.net/nowshowingutah

Please feel free to review any of these documents and I suggest you find the one called "5 Reasons to Sign" as it will help you understand what should be expected of both you the buyer and the buyer's agent.

Disclaimer: Sharing this information is not a solicitation for your business "IF" you currently have an active agreement with an agent/brokerage.

Thank you for using Trulia! I hope you are able to get through this rough patch and close on a great home!

-Kris

Kristopher Furrow - Associate Broker

Member – 2010 Young Professionals Council
Salt Lake Board of Realtors

Windermere Real Estate - UTAH
Salt Lake City and Park City
2348 South Foothill Drive
Salt Lake City Utah, 84109
Direct: 801.999.8679
Office: 801.485.3151
Fax: 801.485.3152
Hi Nate,

We as agents can certainly sympathize with the frustrations you are feeling. It may feel like your agent is not doing enough for you or finding the right property for you. It is a very challenging market and offers can be harder to get accepted in most market places these days. My suggestion is to sit down face to face with your agent and discuss your frustrations and concerns you have. Review the listings in your budget to see if it is the properties or the agent that aren't the right fit. You may both come to a mutual understanding or you may both decide to go your own way. Either way, I strongly encourage a sit down discussion with the agent first.
Keep in mind that expectations are important on both sides--have a discussion with your agent and express all your concerns, if unsatisfied with your conversation, and if there is no written agreement between you and your agent, you are free to work with whoever you wish. Ask your agent to check on your offer--when it comes to bank owned properties, it does not necessarily mean they are a quick sale.
Nate, A good buyer's agent who listens to your needs and desires in a home should be able to narrow down properties for you to look at rather than showing you a large number of homes that would not work for you.
I suggest that before you fire your agent you open a dialogue and express your concerns and expectations. Some buyers only need to see a few homes before they find the one they want but some buyers may not have a clear picture of their "perfect home" and need to see a lot more.

Yes, your agent should certainly be respectful of your time and do their best to work around your schedule but please remember that your agent may be working with many other buyers at the same time and he may not always be available when it is most convenient for you.

After you express your concerns you may decide that your current agent is not right for you, but hopefully once you express your feelings you will reach an understanding. If your Realtor does not have enough time to devote to your home search then he should be honest with you and let you know.

Good luck with finding your perfect home!
You probably need to first discuss your unhappiness with your agent. They may not even know that you're feeling frustrated. An agent and buyer should set out expectations in the beginning and then you wouldn't be feeling as you do. If you are totally unsatisfied with the person, there is no reason you should stay working with them. Unless... did you sign a buyer's agency with this person? If so, you need to read the agreement that you have signed. I always tell people that Realtors are a dime a dozen and we can be replaced easily. You as the consumer have the right to choose whoever you would like to work with.
Robin
RAWLS REALTY
Web Reference: http://www.robinarrow.com