Home Buying in Mashpee>Question Details

Laurie, Home Buyer in 01945

Septic system replacement

Asked by Laurie, 01945 Thu Jun 14, 2012

Interested in your experiences replacing a septic system in Mashpee, MA. Costs? Reliable contractors? Etc. Many thanks!

Answers

7
I would make sure that your septic tank needs to be replaced, or if it just needs to be pumped. Sometimes if you're experiencing problems they can be easily fixed by pumping the tank. However, you won't know this unless you've had it well inspected. I would call around to check the cost from several different contractors, since you don't have experience with one from before.
http://www.nofusswaste.com.au/servicesguarantees
There are different systems available, and that will have a major effect on the cost. So will the type of land your property is on, and the removal of the old system. I would call a septic company to look at it and assess the situation. Shop around to different ones in the area to check quotes, licenses, and experience.

http://www.martinseptic.net
I think that replacing one is not a fun experience. I think that it is way better to have someone do it for you at least. It just takes a while and it smells. http://www.hrcompletesepticpumpingandexcavation.com/p/septic…
Hi Laurie,
the Town of Mashpee has implemented a ruling that requires ANY system more than 30 years old to be replaced regardless of wether or not it passed a title five inspection.
As for price it can vary greatly depending on design and engineering specs. All systems are designed per a percolation test and soil type at that specific location. An installer would not quote the job without a design plan so they knew what was required and what they would be putting in. You might be able to get a ballpark number from a an experienced individual in the area and familiar with the soil type at that location. However, no one will quote it without a plan. So the first step is to get a perc test and get it engineered. You're looking at 7-10K at a minimum and then the cost of landscaping to put the yard back together.

On that same note buying a SHORT sale with this risk involved becomes even more risky as you are now out monies for testing and design on a property you may never actually own. While a lot of short sales are being approved these days there are still those that ultimately end up in foreclosure.
Thank you for letting us know about the new ordinance. The septic system on my property is almost 30 years old. I haven't noticed any problems, but I certainly don't want to encounter any. I hope it will last until next summer. That would give me ample time to save up for the installation.

http://www.kobenv.com/excavation/septic-system-design-installation/
Flag Fri Nov 7, 2014
I called Mashpee Board of Health It's the H10 systems that must be replaced at the 30 years, but the heavier septic H20 ( used in many townhouse developments) which hold 3,000 gallons, does not need to be replaced at 30 yrs. as long as it passes title five every three years .
Flag Fri Aug 10, 2012
Hi, Laurie-

Whoever you contact for septic system replacement, make sure they know the area. The cost to replace a septic system can vary greatly within any town in Massachusetts, but there are issues specific to the Cape because of the porous, sandy soil, low elevations, marshlands, wetlands, etc. It might cost you $12,000 to replace all the elements in the existing system, while your neighbor has to spend many times that amount to do the same thing. Also, septic systems in many locations on the Cape require a closed system that will require regular pumping, at an additional cost.

As with any major construction work, I'd recommend checking with people you know and trust to give you a referral, checking with the BBB and consumer sites such as Angie's List, and try to get two or three written estimates. You may have to contact 5 or 6 contractors (or more) in order to find two or three who will come out to give you an estimate within a reasonable timeframe.

And don't be too surprised if they want to charge you for an estimate, since they usually need a couple of hours to visit the site, maybe perform some tests, evaluate many variables, and write up the estimate. Most will probably credit you the cost of the estimate on the final bill if they do the job.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the specifics. That's a wide range for the cost. I would hate to get locked into a septic tank that's more expensive than what it's worth. Hopefully shopping around will find me the best deal. I guess it's not a good idea to go with the first quote offered. http://www.countrypumpout.com
Flag Thu Feb 19, 2015
thank you for your excellent response! I hadn't realized that cost could vary so much within a community. I was looking at a short sale and learned that it "needed a new septic system per Mashpee." Based on what I am learning, I'm not sure I want to take that on. Thanks again.
Flag Thu Jun 14, 2012
The best thing for you to do is to get three estimates. I would start by calling the city or town hall and asking for the building inspector. You can ask which companies have done a lot of business in the town and they will tell you. This will help you understand if the contractor knows the local codes and will be a good fit for the town.

Diana Pinkham
Costs can vary greatly. B&B out of Sandwich 508-477-0653 is a good start for you.