Home Buying in Red Oak>Question Details

Hilary Cable, Home Buyer in Red Oak, TX

Separated, paying cash, keep hubs off the title

Asked by Hilary Cable, Red Oak, TX Sat Mar 1, 2014

We've been separated 5 years, file separate returns and lead our own lives. Moving to Red Oak, TX in two months and paying cash. How to I make sure he's not able to make a claim against the property if something happened to me? Vesting? Quit Claim?

Help the community by answering this question:


Boy, I believe you need the advice of a well-experienced real estate attorney. Nobody on this site should or can be giving you legal advice. We are not attorneys.

I have always been told that since Texas doesn't have a legal separation, homesteads give title claim to both spouses. But I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on TV either. Ask that attorney about the LLC idea.

Welcome to Texas!

Barbara Coker
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer
100% Home Loans All Over Texas
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 1, 2014
Thank you, Barbara and Jimmy. Since I posted this, my broker has given me a couple of referrals to RE attorneys in Ellis County. I'm not going to take a chance. It's been my experience that when you really need an attorney, they are worth every dime. Spend the money and sleep soundly.
Flag Sat Mar 1, 2014
Ask the title company if it can be done or place it in an LLC. If you create an LLC you control the business and it is not in your name.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 1, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer