crimson8888, Home Buyer in 20152

Selling our townhome..in South Riding...how essential is it that we have a deck built or is it necessary at all?

Asked by crimson8888, 20152 Sat Jan 25, 2014

Answers

12
Travis Moelker’s answer
Great question! It basically just comes down to the comps in your area. If you can put a deck up for 1k and still get the money out of it that you need it is going to be a great selling point. People love their outdoor living spaces. Good luck on the sale!
My advice to you is call a local agent and have them send you neighborhood comparables. There are so many factors from list price, condition of the property, interior amenities, etc that could be much more important than a deck. You may find its better to spend the money elsewhere in the home, or it may be easier to adjust the sales price and keep your money in your pocket. With a deck you will recoup some but not all, of the money spent. Good luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 26, 2014
If you built a deck at this point it will help you to leverage the sale of your home. The cost you will invest will help you partially recoup. However depending on your list price you will have to determine if it is worth for you to invest on a deck (which is cash out of your savings) and/or adjust the list price to reflect you don't have a deck or some upgrades in the home.

Good Luck
Ritu Desai
Associate Broker
Samson Properties
703-625-4949
Info@eNOVAHomes.com
http://www.activerain.com/blogs/radesai
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 26, 2014
Hi! This is a very common question from sellers looking to get Top Dollar for their home! The goal when listing a home when you want the most amount of money is to eliminate any objections that a buyer that walks through your home might have. Many times not having a deck does become an objection to some buyers, depending on your current competition when you go on the market. South Riding's biggest competition for re-sale homes are still new homes. There are many new homes being built in the 20152 and 20105 zip codes that we see buyers look at when considering purchasing a town home. The "pros" of buying a re-sale is many times a deck and window treatments, so if you do not have a deck then you are not overcoming this and many buyers might decide to purchase new instead. We sit down with our clients and go over current inventory and what your home would sell for with/without a deck. We would be happy to do that for you as well! You can call us at 703-725-3044 for a no obligation, free consultation. We can also go over the strategies to get the most money for your townhome. Inventory is low in South Riding right now, so it is a great time to sell :)
A deck is one of the few things that you'll get most of what you put in to it out of it when you sell. Is it a deal breaker for some buyers?

Yes to some - the ones that just don't have the time to deal with getting HOA approval and county permits and then dealing with the contractor to build it.

No to others - the ones that don't mind the extra work in order to build the deck the exact way they want it built and have it be brand new.

South Riding has a bit of both - homes with and without decks. But the homes without decks sell just like the ones that have them.

The real question to ask is... All things considered, are YOU up for the hassle of getting HOA and county approval and building the deck before you put it on the market?

If you would like to chat more about the pros and cons of both, call me at 702.582-6900 (cell).

Danilo Bogdanovic
REALTOR(r)
United Real Estate
I would not build a deck for the purpose of selling your home. You may not get the cost of building back when your house is sold. The deck might be important to some Buyers, but other Buyers might want to build their own deck. It is important to price your home correctly . No deck would factor into the list price according to other like properties. We are always available to discuss real estate. Please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ruth Neff, ASD, LDPD
Avery-Hess Realtors
Email: ruth@neff-team.com
Website: http://www.neff-team.com
Licensed in VA
Many Buyers are looking for outdoor living space, especially in a townhouse where there typically are not large backyards. It is best to know what your competition is in South Riding right now. Then you will know if this addition makes sense economically. I am an 18 year resident of South Riding and a full time Realtor. I would be happy to meet with you to go over the current South Riding real estate market. Sara Helmke Samson Properties, 703-217-6181 sara@sarashouses.com
Hi, I am a local South Riding agent. Please give me a call and I'd be happy to discuss the pro's and con's of the deck and the area sales. Kate 703-395-5802
Do all of the other town homes you are competing with have them? If so you need to consider it. It may not be a deal killer but it could impact the sale price of your home.

Tom
It would be best to sit down with an agent for a consultation to determine current inventory levels and comparables and see what kind of an ROI you would get for a deck. Unless you're adding livable square footage onto a home, some improvements do not make sense.

Lisa Moroniak | REALTOR® | Service360°
SFR® - Short Sale & Foreclosure Certified
Phone: 703-635-0388
http://www.LisaMoroniak.com
Licensed in VA
If I was your agent, I would come over the talk about your home as a total package. Also, I would compare it to other similar homes in your area. You will more than likely not recoup the expense of installing a deck. It just depends on your other upgrades and whether or not every other home has one. Unless of course you might do it yourselves or have close contacts and pay below the normal price. How long have you owned the home? Glenn and I are based in Leesburg and glad to help you in South Riding. Please call and we can set something up. 703-615-1493. http://www.kathyhessler.com
There are many things to consider when trying to get your home sold. I would be happy to sit down with you and show you some comparable homes with and without decks and has stoves. My email address is jillnlord@chantillyhouses.com. feel free to call me as well at 443-370-3958

I am a resident of south riding and a full time real estate agent.