Home Buying in Harris County>Question Details

kindredls68, Home Owner in Georgia

Sellers rights to items left at property after sale finalized

Asked by kindredls68, Georgia Mon Jan 28, 2013

We purchase a home 6 months ago in Georgia (7/2012). Recently, (01/2013) the previous owner has tried to contact us several times stating he has rights to items that were left on the property. Can he claim these items 6 months after the sale of the home, even though there was not an agreement of such? Wouldn't they be conveyed in the sale of the home since they were not removed prior to? Could this issue even hold up in small claims court?

Answers

3
Also, check to see if you received a 'Property Disclosure' that listed which items were being conveyed or excluded from the sale of the property. There should be something in writing about anything not built-in and what was to happen to it. First purchase I ever made in Georgia for a personal residence, there was a written agreement with the seller that they had to pay rent to me, for leaving personal effects in the garage of the house I was purchasing. What is your agent saying? Do they have a copy of the 'Property Disclosure'?
Realtors can not give LEGAL advice;
that said, all personal property, on the premises, on the date of Closing, become the property of the Buyer:
Read your CONTRACT: there is a paragraph in there.

The question is; is this worth going to small claims court FOR YOU?
For legal advice like this, you would need consult with an attorney.