Home Buying in Port Austin>Question Details

Leanda, Home Buyer in Port Austin, MI

Seller want's more time...We closed on a summer house on July 7. In the purchase agreement the seller

Asked by Leanda, Port Austin, MI Mon Aug 4, 2008

asked for 30 days rent free after closing, which we agreed too. The 30th day would be this Wednesday, August 6. We were planning to go get our keys the following day. The seller has now called and told us she needs another week before she can get out of the house. I am willing to consider working with her, but she woul have to pay. My concern is if she does not leave after the week is up, because we allowed her to rent the extra week would we then have to go through the eviction process, or would we have a legal right to have her removed from the house? Can we have her sign a paper that would state no extensions after the week to avoid having to evict? This is in Michigan, I don't know if it makes a difference. Our agent was a referring agent because of the distance from our primary home, the listing agent has not been able to help. I don't know what to do!

Answers

3
Sometimes moving is difficult for everyone getting the house she is moving into. My parents just had this happen and thank god the people allowed them to stay until their home was ready. They didn't even bother them, they were very patient. Sometimes pushing makes it worse. Everyone would like it to be smooth, but moving isn't an easy thing. Your moving people in like a chain reaction. Take a breath! My suggestion.
I agree with Dave and Mary, read your contract.

Its one thing to work with the seller/occupant if there is a delay in getting into their next home, but you have been a landlord for the past 30 days. This booklet may help.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Landlord__Tenant_Guide_10-…

My suggestion would be to seek legal advice from a real estate attorney. Ask about a notice to quit.
Web Reference: http://mi-living.com
Look at your contract. Unless there was an addendum attached to final buy/sell agreement that would counter para. 4 line 39 through 44 it clearly states Closing/Possession. as well as the per diem charge owed to you if you do not receive posession at that specific time and day.