Christine71ny, Home Buyer in 93704

Seller's agent ordered pest inspection but didn't include detatched garage in inspection. We later found termites in garage. What recourse?

Asked by Christine71ny, 93704 Fri Jul 15, 2011

do we have?

Answers

8
I would say to contact them about it. Maybe the pest control company was suppose to but didn't. I would at least ask both the agent and company.
http://www.toronto-pest-control.ca/pestcontrolproducts.asp
I agree. I always think it's best to talk to people about issues like this. communication between you is key. It might be something that can be figured out by asking some questions.
Gary Puntman | http://www.frontlinetpc.com.au
Flag Wed Jul 16, 2014
Well if the deal still went through even after the pest control quincy ma went through, then I don't think there would be any, sorry
TWO YEARS AGO: The termites might have returned; they are Monsters!
Hi Christine,

If you could pull your file dealing with the purchase of your home. Look specifically for a document titled "Wood Destroying Pest Inspection and Allocation of Cost Addendum". Look at Section 2, Sub-Section B and see if the box next to detached "garages and carports" has been checked. This box should have been checked before submitting your offer. If the box was checked, the Seller's by signing the document agreed to the terms and the work was therefore not completed. Somehow this was overlooked by both Agents when the Termite Inspection report was disclosed. That being said, it might be very difficult to locate the Seller's at this point to request reimbursement. And it appears that the Listing Agent is trying to avoid you. I would recommend that you try calling the Termite company that signed off on the Termite completion report when you purchased the home. Explain to them what happened and show them not only your recent Termite completion report but compare it side by side to their Termite completion report from a year ago. Ask them how this work could have been missed? Ask them why did they sign off on work that was never completed? If the garage was not mentioned in their report then ask them why this structure was missed by them, do they make it common practice to ignore such an obvious structure then sign off that the property is termite free? This is when you ask the Termite Company to repay you for this work that they missed. If you're unable to settle this matter to your satisfaction then I recommend that you speak with an Attorney that specialies in real estate law. Be sure to bring all documention with you when seeking council. Good luck

Matt
I cannot image that they Seller's Agent is at fault:
They would not have to specify the Detached Garage as part of the Inspection unless it was 200 yards away.
The Pest Company should be liable, UNLESS:
Did you ACCEPT the Inspection?
You did?
Then you probably do not have a leg to stand on.

Good luck and may God bless
Just to clarify my original question - we purchased this house more than a year ago. We did not know at the time we made the offer that there were termites in the garage. The pest guy who treated the termites said they'd been there for YEARS. We've been trying to get the seller's agent to reimburse us for the money we had to spend to get rid of the termites, to no avail.

I believe that the sellers were aware that there were termites in the detached garage, which is why the seller's agent didn't ask the pest inspector to inspect the garage.
You must consult to a real estate attorney to find that out. It may be that Pest control company did not do their job.

Best of Luck,

Zaza Pasori

When you wrote the offer, did you ask the seller to pay/repair termite damage found in the garage? There is a form you can use to ask this in the offer...right up front. Ask your agent. If you already did agree to this, then they will get it fixed and provide you a clearance from a termite company prior to the close.

If this is just informational and you did not already ask for these repairs...then you can ask now. Everything is negotiable..so your agent can prepare a Request for Repairs and send it to the sellers...include this in that request.

Hope this helps.....

Karen