Home Buying in Vallejo>Question Details

Salim Vasani,  in Vallejo, CA

Seeing homes after dark

Asked by Salim Vasani, Vallejo, CA Fri Jan 18, 2013

This is not so much an issue in summer. But in winter, daylight hours are short. Its dark by the time most people come back from work. This question is for Buyers, Sellers and agents. As Buyers, are you comfortable seeing houses after dark? As Sellers, do you allow visits? How do agents deal with this? Its not always possible for clients to take time out of work to go see a house and waiting for the weekend might be too long.

Answers

8
I will show homes in the rain, snow, wind and hurricane. I have shown homes on Thanksgiving and Christmas day, but I draw the line at night or after dark. Anyone who sees a house in the dark will want to come back and see it in the day and look at the yard and outside, so why do it at night knowing you have to come back. It is not a safety issue with me, but I can see where that would be a concern for some.
Showing property in the absence of daylight is definitely a problem. Simply stated, the home isn't represented as it could with additional light. Our recommendation is to try to avoid these situations at all costs. There are times that it can't be avoided....when this happens try to arrange for a second showing under better conditions.

Thank you for the insight. Unfortunately, I had the option to choose only ONE best answer. I chose Tim's answer. But all replies were relevant and good.

I wish all of you great success in this Year. Thanks again.
Salim,
We deal with this further north much more than you may and it is an issue. Right now with tight inventories, I'm showing homes in the dark more often than in the past. If a new listing appears on Monday or Tuesday there is a real chance it will be sold by Saturday.
Starting in the dark doesn't mean that the final decision will only come from that one showing. If a home looks very good upon the first showing, I've had buyer's schedule a break from work to come out the next day to see it again in the daylight.
We do what we can given the conditions we have. Right now we are dark by 4:30-5:00 but come summer we'll be light until almost 10:00.
Agreed "If a new listing appears on Monday or Tuesday there is a real chance it will be sold by Saturday."
Flag Wed Jan 23, 2013
Thank you for your question. I showed a home the other night to a couple and there was no power on in the home. So I have a flashlight witj me.. But, if its a man that I have never met I will not show the home after dark. Its too hard to see every aspect of the home anyway so another showing in the day time is always in order.
I completely agree with you. Besides safety issue, its almost a given that another daytime showing will be required.
Flag Wed Jan 23, 2013
I have had listings shown at night and I have shown listings at nite. Most buyers have driven around neighborhoods in the daytime and know what they are like. If a buyer really likes the home, we will do a second visit if necessary. In this current market, the early bird gets the home. With many couples having two incomes, looking in the daytime is not feasible. Many sellers know this and do allow visits after dark.
As an agent, I try not to show houses when it's dark out. During the winter, if there's one home we need to get to quickly, I'll suggest my clients meet me during their lunch hour. Otherwise, we wait for weekends.

When showing homes in the dark, you miss so much...you miss being able to see the surrounding neighborhood. the way the light falls in each room, the backyard, and much more. I certainly try to show at another time although I have done 'dark' showings a few times in my career.

Good question!
I usually have a conversation with the buyer or agent to determine what interest level is as I know that if they like it they are going to want to see it in the daylight before making an offer.