Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

kvwilson78, Other/Just Looking in Austin, TX

Seattle (or surrounds) area for D.I.N.K.S ?

Asked by kvwilson78, Austin, TX Mon Aug 5, 2013

We're looking at a possible relocation to the Seattle area in 3 / 4 months time. We do have family friends in the area but I'd be interested in responses for areas that might meet at least some of our "ideal world" requirements
(a) a reasonable commute to the Bellvue area (b) we are both older adults with no children..we would prefer a neighborhood that composes of the same ..I guess the opposite of family friendly? (Our last relocation landed us in a suburb were homes more often than not had children..we would prefer a yard where we could relax and enjoy an evening drink without the noise if you get my drift...) Somewhere with decent sized yards- we are avid gardeners and enjoy a cook out (d) This might be a weird one, but in a county or city one that has a ban on fireworks - again our current home is in a "free for all" area and we have to board 3 of our pets for a few days every new years/4th. I'd really love to not have to do this for once.
We would be looking to purchase,not rent.

Answers

11
3/18/2014

KVwilson 78

Hi there ....are you still planning to relocate to Seattle Area ?

How is everything going ?

Thanks for the consideration

Dave Skow- Eagle Home Mortgage
206 714 9745
dskow@eaglehomemortgage.com
There are many areas in seattle that are more metropolitan then suburban, it's more likely that the areas with more density won't have the yard you are envisioning, but there are plenty of places to begin the search. Seattle has had a long standing ban on fireworks, so hopefully you'll save money on your boarding costs! -Kjell
I find many of the answers here curious. I am also a DINK, never had kids, never wanted to. Seattle has more dogs per capita than kids by the way. The truth is Seattle is a network of micro neighborhoods. Many of the neighborhoods listed by others I would guess would be great for singles and families. The truth is to find your perfect neighborhood, you need more criteria. Parks, restaurants, running or biking trails, parking and so many other elements go into the mix. Are you a boater, a runner, a live music fanatic, a social knitter, you get the idea. I love Seattle for the variety of choices, I would be honored to help you pin down the right neighborhood for you. After we establish that we can come up with the plan on how to beat out the multiple offers.
You might consider Bainbridge Island, just a 35 minute ferry ride to downtown Seattle. No freeway traffic! We are seeing Amazon.com, Starbucks, Microsoft, Expedia, etc; buyers taking advantage of our unique island lifestyle; great values and ease of access to nature and the city!
You sound like my wife and me. Seattle is one of the most child-free cities in the country, so you're in luck there. Maybe avoid Wallingford, Madison Park, and Madrona if you're considering within the city limits. I don't really know about the burbs. Seattle has a ban on fireworks, but it doesn't help much, since other cities in King County don't. Without a statewide ban, our cats are unfortunately frightened to death several times a year. I'm not sure why people insist on putting their neighbors' homes at risk, either... and the police are no help since it usually happens on busy holidays, when they've got other things to do. In the city, there aren't a lot of large, grassy lawns - but people are seriously avid gardeners. You should have no problem finding a place with some room to grow all kinds of great plant life, even without a serious expanse of lawn. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 27, 2013
Lots of people mentioning Madison Park. Weird... it's mostly young families with money. Not a place to avoid children. Magnolia is a good place to avoid kids, though.
Flag Fri Dec 27, 2013
The only way to avoid having a lot of children around is to move into a 55+ community. This would mean at least one of you is over 55 years old. There are several in the area & I would recommend you those words & start looking at some of them & the amenities they offer. the other option could be to move further east where you will have land & the neighbors will be far away. Being in the thick of Kirkland, Mercer Island, etc as others have suggested will not help because there will still be a lot of children around.

As to the fireworks, good luck with that. I live in Kenmore, which has a ban & with dogs and a son with Aspergers, fireworks days are a nightmare.

I would love to help you find the right place. Please contact me directly if you would like some help, even before you arrive.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
Off the top of my head ( which is dangerous at 6:30 morning before coffee), I only recall one 55+ community comprised of single family houses. I think it's down near Des Moines, so I'll leave it to you if that's a reasonable commute to Bellevue.

As to the fireworks I agree with the comment of others that even where fireworks are banned you'll still hear them. I think Renton might enforce that ban a bit more, but note that a lot of places with Renton addresses are really unincorporated King County, and those areas do not have any ban at all. I don't think Seattle does much if anything to enforce their ban, at least off of school properties.
I can confirm that Seattle does little enforcement of fireworks regs. I'm sure if it was the middle of the afternoon on an average weekday, they might swing by after an hour, but I've been told explicitly by dispatch on NYE and 7/4 that they won't respond unless someone's injured or something's on fire.
Flag Fri Dec 27, 2013
Kvwilson,
I think that the ideal location for you will not be a specific town or neighborhood, but one of dozens that could exist. The eastside has some areas that have banned fireworks, but I'll warn you they still go off. Larger lots are in older areas of Issaquah, Sammamish, Mercer Island, Redmond & Woodinville. Finding a sunny spot will be part of the project. Any of these towns will be quick to Bellevue.
The demographics of any given neighborhood may be subject to change, so the best you can hope for is a period of what you are looking for. Outside of specific retirement communities, most neighborhoods will have a mix of ages.
Let's begin with the fireworks. Most cities in King County ban fireworks altogether, including Seattle. That said, I load up the two dogs and head for a mountain retreat one day either side of the 4th of July. The fireworks make life hell for the pooches. There is NO peace from fireworks and the bans are virtually unenforced. There are some amazing communities in Seattle and adjacent that would suit your lifestyle, but take freedom from fireworks off your list.

Mercer Island would be my first choice. Four generations of my family have called Mercer Island home. It's the quintessential northwest experience. The population of the island is 22,000 and it feels like a small town, yet you're just a few minutes from Seattle restaurants and theaters, and an equally short distance from upscale shopping opportunities in Bellevue. Taxes are (surprisingly) lower on Mercer Island than Seattle, yet 'poverty rock' is one of the wealthiest zip codes in Washington State.(It's not uncommon to find a 1/4 to 1/2 acre lot on Mercer Island.)

Kirkland is another option, but I think of luxury condos and cafes and not big yards. Kirkland is nice to visit and shop,

Madison Park is similar to Kirkland in many respects, and you'll bump into more celebrities in Madison Park than anywhere else. Large lots? Not so much. Townhouses, updated bungalows, and urban character, --gobs of it in Madison Park.

If I discern your desire for for easy access ---and the benefits of an urban lifestyle-- but in a quiet community with larger-than-average lots, then I keep coming back to Mercer Island.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to assist.
I would suggest looking in Downtown Kirkland, Mercer Island or the Seattle neighborhoods of Ballard, Madison Park, Magnolia... The company I work for is owned by a relocation company and typically when we have relocating buyers who describe the same requirements as you have here, these are the neighborhoods where they typically end up. I'll include a link here if you'd like a free relocation packet. And there's more info about Kirkland on the home page.

Kirkland and Mercer Island offer excellent commutes and I would describe them as older and established (although Kirkland is also family friendly naturally because it is waterfront town. It' on the same side of the lake as Bellevue. No tolls! Yeah!)

Seattle is going to be eclectic and of course more urban. Depending on your price range there may be less of a chance to have a yard in Seattle proper.

None of these areas have a ban on fireworks that I know of but it's not like they are abused. There are no major issues that I am aware of. I think almost everywhere has fireworks on the 4th!

Jennifer Nilssen,
Real Living NW Realtors
There are many areas that can be described by what you are asking about.. My wife and I fit exactly the same description. And you can grow just about anything short of tropical plants here. But the Wife even has bougainvillea thriving...She's a huge gardener..

Madison Park & Capital Hill in Seattle. Or Medina and Kirkland nearer to Bellevue. Your choices will be price driven. One determining factor will be how often you need to go to Bellevue. There are 2 ways to get across the Lake from Seattle, and one is a toll bridge.

Fireworks may be the tricky part here: There are a lot of Native American reservations surrounding the greater metro area. Almost all sell fireworks of the legal and illegal kind since they are almost beyond Government regulation. Getting away from minor episodes will be tough, but there are outlying neighborhoods that (try to) ban explosives..

Steven Petersen
Real Estate Managing Broker
Skyline Properties
cell 206.427.2759
ePro, ABR, CRS
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenprealestate
http://www.yelp.com/biz/steven-petersen-skyline-properties-seattle
http://www.zillow.com/profile/Steven-Petersen/