ramot1973, Home Buyer in 92011

Schools in west carlsbad

Asked by ramot1973, 92011 Mon Nov 26, 2012

We are first time home buyers and are considering buying a home in west-Carlsbad area for its vicinity to work. Having good elementary and middle school is our top most criteria as we have a 3 year old son. I have looked at ratings of Pacific rim elementary and Aviara oak elementary, they both seem like good schools. However, I was also looking at the budget issues of Carlsbad unified school district (CUSD) and looming lay offs of the teachers. I am worried that these 2 schools that look good today might deteriorate in couple of years when our son starts going to these schools. Is that a genuine concern? Will this school hold on to their good rankings in years ahead? Or should we just look for homes in other school districts? Please help us decide on this important issue.

Answers

9
It is difficult for anyone to foresee what will happen in the future, but I will tell you that as a Real Estate Agent and a parent of kids in CUSD - the level of education is extraordinary given that they received near the least money per pupil in our district versus all other SD districts.

So they certainly have managed to maintain quality education scores despite minimal funding in the past - and parents are hoping they will be able to continue that trend if necessary.
There is plenty of speculation about the actual effects of the new School Prop that passed, but we are currently waiting to see how the new arrangement may/may not impact our school funding here.

Here's a great resource to get a school quality snapshot SQS from the California Dept. of Education. http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/sq/

There is a also an informative Facebook group dedicated to Carlsbad school updates and funding issues - if you would like that link please visit my page and I can invite you into the informative group to read the articles and updates posted there weekly. http://www.facebook.com/TiffanyBoydRealtor

And if you have a need for any Real Estate assistance with buying - I specialize in this exact town and would love to assist you.
Good Luck,
Tiffany Boyd, Realtor
Keller Williams Realty Carlsbad
CA Dre#01899986
TiffanyHomes@yahoo.com
760 533 2244
Hello. You are wise to be checking financials. Carlsbad has severe budget cuts and classroom sizes are up to 40 students now, even at Pacific Rim and Aviara. Parents are getting involved volunteering as aides and raising funds. But the iron-clad ratings of Carlsbad schools are fraying lately. Safe to say the future could be similar. We have several charter schools in our area that offer great options as well. And there are also plenty of private school options. So lots of variables here. If your son is just born, you might consider buying a home now with good resale potential and postponing your decision as to schools for a few years. Important thing is to buy now. Then in a few years at least you have equity and can trade into a different district depending on what holds true at that time.
If you live within the Carlsbad School District, you can apply for an intra-district transfer to attend another school within the district which is not your neighborhood school. My experience has been the teacher can make more of a difference than the school or the district. Finding that good teacher is the hard part...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012
Hi -

Marc and Kari Shea are correct regarding agents not being able to give their opinions on school districts. There are some great tools to use in your research on schools which my peers have provided. However, .I can say that I am an involved parent with 3 children who attend Pacific Rim and I am very happy with the school. I would advise you to go to the schools yourself in the neighborhoods you are contemplating buying in and interview some parents or go on one of the many school rating websites such as. http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/districtrank.aspx and do your homework.

Please feel free to contact me if you need help locating a home in North County.

Happy House Hunting!

Maria Rosino-Miracco, CEO/Attorney/Broker
Premia Realty Group, Inc.
CA DRE# 01328629/CA State Bar #205544
maria@premiarealty.com
760-814-7676
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012
Hi Ramot,
It is really difficult to have a crystal ball about these things. Carlsbad is being affected like the rest of the school districts with lessened funding from the state. Good news is that prop 30 passed, which should shore up some of the hemorrhaging. Property tax base does help local schools, so the values in West Carlsbad should help the school district... hopefully the worst is over....

Let me know if you need any assistance!

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
Broker
McAllister Homes Real Estate
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012

Hopefully you used the Great Schools @ http://www.greatschools.org/california/san-diego

All school systems in CA are seeing budget cuts and increased classroom sizes. Beyond that, by law, Real Estate agents cannot influence a buyer's choices with regards to neighborhoods, the safety of an area or school systems as well as many other items.

If an agent gives you advice about these, they run the risk of violating a Federal statute. We say this not to avoid what you are saying, but rather to empower you to research what you need to succeed.

We can provide the research tools, like Great Schools. However, we cannot render an opinion as we are not experts in those areas. We are in business to provide expertise and guidance in buying or selling a home.

We hope this is helpful,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012

I am a broker and former teacher in the San Dieguito Union HSD as well as a resident of Carlsbad - and yes, with kids in the public schools. I do not see a significant change coming for the Carlsbad schools. If anything, the passage of the state proposition 30 should make school funding more consistent, not less. There are always going to be budgetary concerns "on the horizon"- but they have an amazing way of being addressed at the 11th hour. The two schools you identified are, and will remain, in the top tier both in the District and the County. Not sure if I am supposed to identify myself on this forum - so I will not do so... I hope it helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012
Hi, your name comes from your profile!
Flag Mon Nov 26, 2012
I live in La Costa and have 4 kids in the Encinitas Union School District and San Dieguito Union High School District. They have been strong districts in the South Carlsbad area for decades. I know people who came from the east coast and pulled their kids from Aviara Oaks because they were not happy. They ended up in private school.

If affordability is not too much of an issue, you might consider broadening your search for homes in those districts. Further discussion about schools can be had outside a forum like this if you would like specific, uncensored insights. I am happy to help.

BeachBrokerBill
(760) 525-8698
Bill@coastalhomesofsandiego.com
CA DRE 01775528
NMLS 980076
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. The budget cuts have affected every school district, but is it true that Carmel Valley schools are relatively unaffected?
Not a single district is unaffected. California has major challenges ahead as it tries to find new sources of revenue to cover the past spending binges. Truth be told Oceanside Unified has one elementary scoring higher than most Carlsbad elementary schools. And at the end of the day, if you are solely depending on schools to educate your kid, you might want to rethink that as well. I'm of the opinion that even with a mediocre public school, an hour a day of reading makes for a smarter kid.

Michael J. Lambert, Broker
CA DRE 01131476
Michael@MichaelJLambert.com
Flag Mon Nov 26, 2012