Home Buying in Westfield>Question Details

helenslam, Other/Just Looking in

School & train station parking for Westfield

Asked by helenslam, Wed Apr 21, 2010

My sister is considering a move to Westfield. How is parking at the train station? Are there any pre- and after- care programs for elementary school children? If so, what are the hours? Which sections of Westfield are the best?

Answers

5
Hi Helen!

Westfield is a terrific town! My family has lived here for over 10 years. My daughter (now in high school) has really enjoyed the various after-care and summer activity programs that are offered. As for parking at the train station...it exists, but is fairly limited. NJ Transit maintains 5 lots, the largest being located on the south side of the station. You can call them at 908-789-4044 to find out about current availability. The town has many wonderful neighborhoods, each with it's own character and charm. Deciding which area is "best" is obviously a matter of personal preference.

She can learn more about Westfield and our local real estate market by visiting my local real estate blog. The link is posted below. All the best!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 21, 2010
Parking is indeed an issue for anyone planning to move to Westfield. There are a number of solutions however. One, of course, is to find a house/apartment within an easy walk to the train; houses closer to the train station (within less than a mile) typically are priced a bit higher in towns along the train line (whether Westfield, Cranford, Fanwood). Some commuters ride their bikes, some walk, some get dropped off in the morning by their spouse/partner and then walk home at night.

As for parking, there are multiple lots here in Westfield -- not just the one immediately adjacent to the station. I've been told that commuters should count on a 2-year wait -- this will likely get you parking at one of the lots a couple blocks away. I've also been told by the parking folks that annual parking fees are based upon which lot you have a permit for -- but it ranges from $360-$576 per year (subject to change).

If your sister has questions about the town or if she is interviewing for an Agent, I'd be happy to talk with her about the town, the parking, or the after-school/summer camp programs.

Marilyn Holda-Fleck
Prudential New Jersey Properties - Westfield Office
mholdafleck@comcast.net
Hi Helen,
All sections of Westfield are the best. Obviously, like any other town, there are streets with more expensive houses and streets with lessor priced houses, but all of the streets in Westfield are desirable, even some of the busiest streets like Lawrence Ave, which connects Route 22 with downtown Westfield, yet has houses that sell for over $2 million on it.
What your sister needs is am experienced Westfield Realtor. I've been in Real Estate in Westfield for over 22 years. I've lived in Union County and Westfield practically my whole life. My children have all gone through the School system and excelled. They are currently in grad school & college. I have been active in the community in lots of ways. My husband runs the newsstand at the train station, so I can answer most questions regarding commuting, he's been there for almost 30 years.
I work at Coldwell Banker which is the number ONE office in Westfield and also the number ONE Coldwell Banker office in the NRT system of offices nationwide.
I would be happy to help your sister in finding her dream house in Westfield.

Donna Perch
Coldwell Banker
email: Donna.Perch@CBMoves.com
cell: 908-468-0242
follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/donnaperch
Last time I checked there was a ~4 year wait for a spot at the train station
Helen,

I both live and work here in Westfield. I'd be happy to help your sister
to get a better feel for the town, transportation, schools, child-care, etc.
My kids went through the Westfield Schools -- they are terrific. And, because
I worked full time in industry while they were young, I can provide first-hand
recommendations for day care, summer camps, and after-school programs.
I know how important it is to have that peace of mind that your kids are in
good programs.

Have your sister contact me directly, I'd be happy to answer her questions
and to assist her with her home search.

Marilyn Holda-Fleck
Prudential New Jersey Properties - Westfield

mholdafleck@comcast.net