Home Buying in McKinney>Question Details

Texas58, Real Estate Pro in McKinney, TX

Say you have a client looking for a house, how many times would you take them out to look during an average week?

Asked by Texas58, McKinney, TX Sun Jan 8, 2012

We met with our realtor for the first time on Dec 8th just to get acquainted and have been out only 2x since to look at homes. Phone calls and voice mails go unanswered and it takes days to get a response to my emails.

Answers

25
Texas.....every client is different.
Some need to see one house to make a decision and are ready to go that day.
Some need to see a 100.
Same with agents.....some only want to show a house or two....some want to show no more than 10 before you make a decision.
Some will stick with you until you buy or die.
The good agents are busy....so you may not be able to spend 1/2 day with the agent 5 days in a row looking at homes or all day Saturday and Sunday for a month. If the agent is good, they will also need to spend a fair amount of time before they see you printing and researching information, making appointments, scheduling the best order for you to see the homes, etc. So 3 hrs with you may mean another 2hrs preparing to see you. We've also had some holidays in between that time.
With all that said though, either with this realtor or the next one, I would sit down and discuss strategy. Make sure your expectations meet each other. You might ask them how many homes on average they show before a buyer makes a decision. What if you want to see more, will they still work with you? How fast can they respond to voicemail or email? How far in advance do we need to schedule an appointment, etc. I think there can always be different expectations and you just want to find someone that can meet yours.
If you need a referral to a good agent in McKinney that will work the way you do, just let me know and I'll be happy to get you connected.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 8, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Most likely you have a realtor who has a full time job and does real estate on the side so they won't be available all the time. If your not happy with them I would suggest that you find an agent that is full time and answers their phone. I always tell clients to call an agent that they are thinking about hiring and see how many of them answer their phones before it goes to voice mail. This will give you an idea of what working with them will be like.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 8, 2012
You definitely need to find yourself a new realtor and fast! There is no reason that your realtor should not be answering you calls right away.

To answer you question, it really depends on the client and if they really know what they want in a house. I take most clients out once or twice a week if they want to see properties that match what they are looking. I have had clients that see just three homes and pick one and I have had other clients that I showed over 150 homes before they choose one. Their time frame is also a large factor on how often we go house hunting.

I specialize in Frisco and Mckinney so if you have any questions please give me a call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 8, 2012
That has to be frustrating! I get frustrated when I can't reach other realtors either. You really should start looking for another agent. I'm in constant contact with my clients by email, text or talk. When I'm showing clients we are looking 3-4 times each week (could be as many as 15-20 homes) since most of my buyers are ready to find something within 30-60 days.

It's always good to interview several agents before picking one. Ask them what their process is when showing homes. How late in the evening are they available and will they take your call? Can they meet you at the last minute if you see a home while you're out running errands. You should feel like you are the only client your agent has and she is flexible in working around your available time.

I tell everyone to shop your real estate agents like you would a car. Kick a few tires and see how they hold up after you see them in personI
You need a new realtor, there are too many good ones out there that can help you find just the right home.
Web Reference: http://sherryellis.ebby.com
Texas58,
You have some really great information here from agents all across the country. As you can see, there are many Realtors out there that are passionate about our profession. We are here to help people find their next home...that's what we do. Here are the steps that you should be taking as you and your husband relocate from the apartment into a home. (I noticed you asked alot of questions about foreclosures, these steps apply regardless of the type of home you buy).

1. Get pre-approved for a mortgage. You need to know how much home you can afford, what your house payments will be (including taxes and insurance), how much your down payment will be, how much your closing costs will be, and the timeframe to get the mortgage complete after you find a home. All of this information comes from a mortgage professional. Your Realtor should make some recommendations on people to contact for this information.

2. Find a Realtor that you can trust, that is competent, and that will respond to you when you communicate with them. Sign a "Buyer Representation Agreement" with them so that they have the ability to work for YOU! Discuss with them what you are looking for. Allow them to send you searches of homes that meet your needs through the MLS. When you find some that you are interested in seeing, let your agent know the addresses or MLS#'s and let them schedule the appointments to see those homes with you - in person.

3. When you find a home that you love, let your Realtor pull comparable sales data for you, then make the offer to the seller. Be prepared to provide your pre-approval letter, and also to pay your Earnest Money at that time. Your agent will help negotiate the sale with you and for your benefit.

4. Once you are under contract, there is so much to do. Home inspections, appraisals, transfer utilities, find a moving company. Then moving day will be there before you know it.

Good luck - I hope that this information is helpful to you. If you decide to change Realtors, our team of agents would be happy to assist you.

Melissa Hailey
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
North Texas Top Team, Realtors
214-418-0180
Melissa.Hailey@ColdwellBanker.com
There's so much we don't know.
The possibility exists, and I have been is such a situation, where there are very few properties avaiailable meeting the buyers requirements. There are not many $40,000 3/2/2, block constructed water front homes in the Tampa Bay area, for instance. Owner financing, lease/option reduces the pool further. Then toss in the no-deed restrictions and you are approaching unrealistic expectations. Again, there is much we do not know.

WHAT WE DO KNOW is an agent not responding promtly to a buyers calls is unacceptable. The first test citizen presents to a agent is they must answer their phone. There of course are exceptions, but they are just that exceptions. What you describe is chronic. Start calling other agents around 10 am. Should one answer their phone, personally, they have passed your number one test.

Your timeline for buying determines how often we look at homes. If you are thinking of buying in April, I will take you for ONE orientation viewing, and in February, we would look at homes as often are you are available. I would provide you access to the MLS and other home search tools allowing you incredible capability to analyze and evaluate the local real estate market. No Guestimates involved.
However, from now till you move in, I am accessible via the telephone.

Best of success in finding a responsive agent and securing a great home.
Annette Lawrence
Broker/assoicate
ReMax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727. 420. 4041
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Texas58,

Quantity time (i.e. looking at houses) does not necessarily mean success in this market. A lot depends on how active you are in searching, driving the area and setting goals to define your target home as well.

The question I would ask is how much time have you and the realtor spent discussing what your preferences or dream home might look like, what you are looking for in a home, etc. Narrowing down the search parameters is as important, if not more important than looking at two dozen houses in a week.

Good agents are busy as one poster mentioned, and prep time to research, doe CMA's, set appts and other related items takes almost as much time as viewing the houses. Generally, most agents will take you on an initial viewing spree to help you narrow down and determine what you are looking for. Then the real search begins, but discussion in advance about your dream home is crucial in saving time and avoiding mistakes.

Holiday season aside, I generally take clients out once a week on average, more often if time is not on their side, just depends on the urgency of the client to get settled in to their new home.
Sounds like you need a new agent. There'so excuse for not answering emails or returning phone calls in a timely manner. As for going out and physically seeing properties, that will depend on the number of properties that actually meet your needs.
Unless you signed a buyer's contract with your agent, you are free to consult with other agents. I would suggest that you get out the Sunday paper and go see lots of open houses and get to know the market. My clients and I do a lot of email back and forth and discuss properties that I send them. Maybe you need someone who is more computer oriented. The days of driving around are really passe. Now most clients can save an enormous amount of time by researching online and then just going to see the best pickins. You didn't mention if you were pre-approved on a loan or what your financial situation is. I'm wondering if maybe your agent hasn't been able to narrow your scope. If you liked your agent, I would be direct and ask if they think there is a problem with you finding a place right away.
Texas58,
If you are dissatisfied with your agent, let them know. Discuss your expectations and if they can't meet them find a new agent. If I have a motivated, qualified and reasonable buyer I put them on the top of my priority list and show them whatever homes I can find that fit their criteria.
If you send them an email saying "you’re fired" I'm confident you'll get a quick response.
I'm sorry that you are having a bad experience and that your realtor is not responsive. As a team we are always available to assist our clients at their convenience and we show them as many houses as needed to find what they are looking for. We are McKinney experts and would like very much to work with you if you decide to change realtors.

Natalia Romm Burns
The Burns Team
Keller Williams Realty - McKinney
6951 W. Virginia Parkway #100
McKinney, TX. 75071
469 878-0917 cell
972 562-8883 off.
nataliaburns@kw.com
I'm not sure what's going on there but my client and I go out to view properties whenever we can match our schedule. Have you signed a buyer representation agreement? Like others have said before if you signed the buyer representation agreement you can always call her/his broker and ask to be released. If you haven't then you are free to hire a new agent. Please feel free to call me if you are hiring a new agent, I'm always there for my clients and I can email you testimonials about my service.

Susie Kay, GRI, CHMS, SFR
Realtor®
Residential/Commercial/Investment/Property Management
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Every agent is different. I would assume that if you have been working with this agent for a month that he/she would have taken you out more than 2x. In those 2x that you went house hunting w/ your realtor, how many houses has he/she shown you total? You are obviously unhappy with your agent or you would haven't posted this question on Trulia. When you are working with an agent it is like any other relationship and communication is a HUGE factor. You shouldn't have to constantly call and email your agent. If this continues you do have the option to choose another agent. If you signed a buyers rep agreement with this agent, you're going to have to go to the broker and state that you want out of your agreement. Explain to the broker why you want out. The broker might try to assign you another agent within the office but you as the buyer have the option to choose any agent you want.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck!!

Tamika A. Goree
Halo Group Realty, LLC
Direct: 972.697.1178
Email: tgoree@haloagent.com
Web Reference: http://tgoree.haloagent.com
Looks like you have your answer - find a Realtor who will work for you. If you have signed a buyer representation agreement with this agent, then I would go to their broker and asked to be released. On a personal note I do not have clients sign an agreement when we first start looking because how do we know we will want to work with each other. I prefer the good old loyalty approach I will work hard for my clients and in return I just ask that they are loyal to me. It has worked for 18 years! Good luck to you and if you are interviewing agents give me a call I would love to be of help.
I think communication is KEY in this situation. Your agent may not be asking the right questions, but it is up you to put forth your needs and expectations in a clear and Unified Manner. If you are free to do some research on your own and drive by the properties, this may be the perfect time to ask your Realtor to contribute a portion of his/her Commission to cover some of your closing costs in return for their limited service. Take charge and make this situation work for you!!!!
I have noticed you have had quite a few questions during the home buying process and if you have an agent representing you, they should have answered many of these for you, if you don't feel your agent has answered your questions, or that they are not working hard enough for you, it is definitely time to interview new agents. As stated previously, if my clients have time and are qualified, I will show as long and as often as their schedule will allow. If there aren't any homes that meet their criteria currently available, I would convey this, rather than not respond. There are several well qualified agents in the area that are more than happy to find you a home. I would start interviewing them quickly.

I noticed in a previous request your lease was up in January. Have you gone month to month or renewed your current lease?
Tex,

Agents should do whatever possible to make sure you see property as often as you feel needed. It would seem that a motivated buyer would receive more than two meetings in a three week period even if in the holiday season.

The fact that your emails and telephone calls are not being responded to is unexcusable......unless there is a valid reason, it may be time to move on. The decision is yours.

This is not acceptable. As my colleagues mentioned, this is a service driven industry.
If your realtor is not meeting your expectation, you have the right to fire him/her and hire another realtor.

Good Luck

Albert Elhage
Sounds like you need to find a realtor more focused on customer service. I like to meet with a client at my office up front to find out needs and wants. It also allows me a chance to find out their expectations and to communicate the process so we are on the same page. I would say the average times out in a week would be 1-2x and a total of 4-5x before we find the home they fall in love with. Good luck with your search.
Your agents response time is not acceptable. I would have a frank conversation with the individual about both of your expectations in this relationship and if they cannot be met you should look for another agent. Remember we work for you! Not the other way around.

Best of luck to you.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
No limit on number - focus is on finding your dream home. Most times, the buyer has narrowed search and appointments scheduled to ensure home is available, Ron SaleMcKInneyHomes,com
Tell the agent the level of service you expect, And if they can't provide that level others can and will. This is a service driven industry. 24-7 you can not expect but at least one or two days a week if your seriously ready to buy. I tend to have no trouble with an average buyer selecting a home in 1 or 2 weeks time.
WOW we respond "within reason by 2 hours" take a client out based on their schedule and demands. Considering your loan approval letter expires in 60 days.

Happy to work with you

Direct Link McKinney homes for sale :
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5057188

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I can only answer for myself and how I deal with clients but if they are ready to buy and financing is in place I spend as much time as I need too, to get a contract signed. If they are serious buyers I make them a priority. Good luck with your home search maybe you just need to stress to them how serious you are and what your time frame is to buy a home.