gauravmal, Home Buyer in Cupertino, CA

Saw 2 open homes (a. 42 Putnam St. (x St. cortland) & (b. 136 Murray St (x st. College). Which will give more rent, appreciate more, safer for

Asked by gauravmal, Cupertino, CA Sun Jul 15, 2012

kids? 42 Putnam seems like a better area but is a cramped home with little street parking, closer to Cortland shopping but far from Bart. 136 Murray is a better home, closer to Bart and mission but seems like not such a good neighborhood. I am looking at both as an investment property to get rhinestone rental and highest appreciation. Any thoughts on which is better bet on those 2 counts? Finally there may be a chance that we might have to live there if job moves to SFO and I have a little girl so want to make sure I pick the one that is safer neighborhood. Any advice?

Answers

6
My advice is to hire an agent. Both of these homes have offer deadlines which could mean they sell above their asking prices as several other homes in the area have done recently, and is occuring throughout the city. You need a thorough home value evaluation done to have any chance of giving you a decent answer to your questions. If you've looked at enough homes yourself, then I would suggest trusting your gut, and also choosing the home that you would prefer to live in. If you haven't looked at a lot of homes you need your own agent even more.

Most of us who come here answering questions for free are hoping to attract new clients. I'd suggest calling 2 or 3 of us and then choose one as your "buyer's agent". We work for free unless or until you purchase a home, at which time we share in the Seller's agent's commission. So why not call right now?

Rob Regan
http://www.RobRegan.com
Hi there-

I'd also recommend that you investigate the safety of the neighborhoods, Trulia's Crime Maps are a great resource:

http://www.trulia.com/crime/

Ali, Community Manager

I can't agree more, these a question for an agent and it really sounds like you need the professional advice one of us could give you. Please feel free o call to discuss these and other homes.

Matthew
To answer your question, your Realtor should have already done a market comparables study along with an investment income study which would include, but not limited to: a capitalization rate for your areas; a gross rent multiplier (GRM) for your areas.

This involves a little research and for me to just give you an answer without this would not do you justice.

Future appreciation also involves a little research instead of "an experienced" opinion.

Please have your Realtor do this and back up statements with facts on paper.

Peter T. Chin Realtor #01866332
415-863-7500 office
Contact your agent and ask him or her these questions. Also check out the neighborhood at a couple of different days and times to get a better feel for it. If you can speak with a neighbor or two that might also be beneficial.

As far as rents, appreciation, and the like there are simply too many variables involved to provide an accurate answer. Still, ask your agent to supply you with neighborhood data, comps, and rental ranges.

Feel free to call me at 415-200-7202
These are great questions for your agent. Have you asked him/her about these homes meeting your goals?

Oggi Kashi
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted. truonly