Home Buying in Akron>Question Details

kathy, Home Buyer in Akron, OH

Saw a house I really liked yesterday at an Open House. Didn;t bid because we don;t have an agent

Asked by kathy, Akron, OH Mon Nov 19, 2012

We would have to work with the seller's agent who showed us the house at the open right? He asked if we had an agent and we said no. From everything I've read you really should have a buyer's agent looking out for your best interests. We have no idea if sale price is even comparable for the area.....something an agent would be helpful for as well as pointing out flaws in the home that perhaps we did not see. Any advice? Is there any way to backtrack now and get an agent to help us, or is too late for this particular house? And if too late, how should we proceed if we decide to bid? We need to be looking out for our interests. Thanks you for advice!

Answers

15
Hi James, yes you should get connected with your own agent to help you get the best possible deal and to have him or her do all the research of the property and let you know everything about it like a CMA that gives you a close estimate of it value. Also any history that needs to be disclosed. I would be happy to help you with this deal or any other possibilities. I have a very good background as a general contractor for over 25 years and have been a Real Estate agent for almost 2 years. I can check out any property and let you know if it's built correct and if it looks good. All I want to do is help. Call me anytime at 330-603-0259. I'm with Keller Williams Legacy Group located in the Belden Village mall area. You don't have to go with anyone at anytime, even if you've signed anything. Thanks!
>>However many buyers are going directly to the listing agents in the market today to skip over the middle person.

Kathy, as a buyer that would be unwise. Look at all of the responses that say you should get your own agent. Let me be very clear: the seller's agent is NEVER looking out for YOUR best interest. I know Shane was only presenting options. I'm just trying to be clear what you best option actually is.

Hi Kathy,

It is always useful to have a buyer's agent help you with a transaction. However many buyers are going directly to the listing agents in the market today to skip over the middle person. However the listing agent still has to provide you with a CMA of similar homes in the area and can still point out flaws for the home. Where it becomes difficult is negotiating the contract. They can't tell you what a seller would accept or give you advice on what to offer because they are considered a dual agent.

So you can ask that listing agent if you would be able to choose a selling agent to work with you and not them. They still want to sell the home. As long as you are upfront with them, they will appreciate that and should not have a problem. If it does not work with that house you may want to hire an agent that will send you homes listed for sale with your perameters to avoid this.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Kathy, The question you posted is creating a great response. I wanted to share with you as I do with all of my buyers I give you a FREE home warranty to go along with your home purchase. Also visit my web site, it will give you valuable information about purchasing a home in today's new world market.
http://kenwoods.yourkwagent.com/atj/user/AboutUsGetAction.do
I will give you a list of my past customers to check me out, please give me a call to see if we would be a good match in working together. Ken Woods 330-777-0075.
I am happy to help you Kathy. I am An Accredited Buyer's Rep with 25 yrs experience.
Direct: 330-620-5484 call me to discuss. thanks.
Some great responses by our fellow agents. The listing agent is representing the seller, however they are able to put a transaction together if both parties of the transaction agree to it. If you're not comfortable or confident in working with the listing agent, then you can certainly hire a buyer's agent to represent your best interests. You may want to find a buyer's agent and have a discussion with them about what your options are. Is this going to be your first home purchase?
Hi Kathy, you can definitely put an offer on this home. I can represent you and would like to schedule a showing for you and me to see the home and go over neighborhood values to make sure the home is not overpriced. It may seem confusing but it is really not. Buying a home should be fun and exciting not stressful. ; )
Web Reference: http://www.davidc.com
If it was an open house then it is fair game to earn your business as either a seller's agent or the listing agent. Truth be told, unless you signed a buyer's brokerage agreement you are free to choose whomever you like to represent you. Also bear in mind that if you use the listing agent she/he can't represent you, but only do transactional tasks on your behalf.

Hire an agent, pull the comps and right the offer before the home you like is bought by someone else. Good Luck and thanks for your question!
Open houses tend to be the proverbial "No Man's Land", where buyers are allowed to view the property without becoming permanently attached to the agent sitting the open house.

If you'd decided that you wanted to use that agent to write an offer on the house, you'd be within your rights. It's possible that the agent sitting the open house isn't the listing agent. And if you liked him, you could use him.

If you'd prefer, you are also within your rights to hire a different buyer's agent. If you've found a different agent (often at a different open house) that you've liked... you can call them, tell them this story, and have they help you purchase this home.

You have options. Good luck.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
By the way, Open Houses are exactly that, they are open and do not dictate that you need to work with the agent at the Open House, however, once you go back to the home you should do so with an agent that you'd like to work with so you are then represented. You should also always make your contract contingent upon a professional inspection so that the home is inspected for any major concerns, including a General Home Inspection, radon and if it has a well and/or septic system. Call or email me if you would like to at 330-620-5372 or LesaLillibridge@yahoo.com THANKS, Lesa Lillibridge
You are COMPLETELY within your rights and best interests to go find an agent you're comfortable with and go back to property. The listing agent might be a bit miffed as s/he will then have to share the commission with your new agent, but s/he will get over it. You should not, however, be overly concerned about using the seller's agent. While the ideal situation would be to have your own agent, the seller's agent, while not necessarily looking out for you completely, is not permitted by law to do anything that wold hurt you. S/he is required to disclose any defects, etc. So, either way, you should be ok, though there is some advantage to having a buyers agent involived. If you decide to proceed with the seller's agent, you just need to contact him/her and let them know you're interested in taking the next step toward purchasing the home. Not sure about OH law, but here in FL that would trigger some automatic legal actions that make the agent and his/her broker a transaction broker, which provides you some protection against being taken advantage of. Best of luck...Jim
Excellent question! Very well articulated.
Follow your intuition and call an agent to represent you.
Lesa's and Ken's phone number are easy to find.
Call.
Don't use the 'contact' button.
Don't rely on Trulia email.
If you are serious and the clock is ticking, go old school and call.
The seller's agent does NOT have to be your agent. You are not obligated to them because you saw the home at an open house. DEFINITELY find a buyer's agent. It's not too late. Find a good buyer's agent and go look at the house again.
Kathy, you should definitely be represented by a professional real estate agent to handle your best interest as well as all that goes with buying a home, from the offer, the negotiations, getting comparative market information to make an educated decision regarding the offer & contract, through inspections, and title company to closing! Please call me direct or email me direct if you'd liek to speak about me representing you.
Great Question Kathy, In Ohio you have the right to work with an agent of your choice. I would be happy to represent you, as I have successfully represented 100's of buyers over the years. Please feel fee to call me @ 330-777-0075 or email me @ MyAgentKenWoods@gmail.com