Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Sk, Home Buyer in Sanjose

San Ramon vs Pleasanton

Asked by Sk, Sanjose Sat Jan 31, 2009

I would like to know Experts opinion about buying home in San Ramon vs Pleasanton for a person working in Sanjose . San Ramon has newer homes compared to Pleasanton but on the other hand commute time is much less for pleasanton . Both seems to have good schools .

Thanks all for the wonderfull responses .

I visited San Ramon few times and like the newer homes in Windsmere and Shapell Homes but kind of worried abouth the commute time as well as higher taxes. Also I heard schools are overcrowded in San ramon.

I am doing research mostly online on Pleasanton and found few good homes like following one interesting . My Budget is around 650k and have six months time to buy the home . By that time I hope market will Stablize and it will be easier to make the decision. Any idea why this home is not able to sell for more than six months even so looks decent .

Hello SK, sorry to be a little slow in responding to this one but I feel I should add my voice as I specialize in San Ramon (and live here).

Firstly, looking at Pleasanton - yes, it has a quaint downtown. And if commute time is important to you, it may suit your needs better (although that depends where in Pleasanton and where in San Ramon you are comparing. Certainly a daily commute from Windemere to San Jose could be a pain although commuting from San Ramon neighborhoods close to 680 is quite bearable.

Home prices tend to be a little higher in Pleasanton for comparable properties, probably because of proximity to Silicon Valley etc. I'm a big fan of the San Ramon Valley School District (and most of the buyers I represent are drawn here by the schools) but Pleasanton has good schools too.

One thing you may want to consider is what is likely to happen to home values once the economy recovers. Personally, I think San Ramon will do better and one reason is the new City Center. A good parallel is Pleasant Hill, where home values were not far different from Concord before their new downtown was built. What an amazing effect on home values that caused.

But quality of life is everything. What I like about living in San Ramon is that everywhere seems so close. San Ramon itself has everything for daily shopping needs but if you like to eat out or go to the theater, Danville and Walnut Creek are so accessible (and so is Pleasanton). Plus San Ramon itself now has some really good restaurants and a Performing Arts Center.

If you decide you want to buy in Pleasanton or if you want more information about Pleasanton, there are agents below who are more qualified to help you than me. If you want to know more about San Ramon, please check out my web site at http://www.JustSanRamonHomes.com and/or give me a call. I will be happy to provide you with references of people I have helped to buy a home in San Ramon and I would love to help you do the same.

Bernard Gibbons

Bernard Gibbons, Realtor, e-PRO Certified Internet Specialist
J. Rockcliff Realtors, 15 Railroad Avenue, Danville, CA 94526
Phone (925) 997-1585
SK, both San Ramon and Pleasanton are wonderful communities. Both have top rated schools, and have safe, quiet neighborhoods and excellent access to shopping, parks, transportation, etc. Pleasanton is more expensive in general, but has a charming downtown that remains a big draw for buyers. It is also an easier commute to Silicon Valley. San Ramon, on the other hand, has a larger supply of newer homes, and in general you can get more value for your money in San Ramon. It really is more of a question of what is most important to you. It is hard to go wrong with either community. Much depends on your price range.

You can get extensive information on both communities, including school ratings and scores, community information, and in-depth neighborhood information, by visiting 680homes.com. This is an excellent place to compare both communities.
Web Reference: http://www.680homes.com
Hi Sk, I would agree that Pleasanton is a special place, and if you are commuting to SJ 5 days out of the week the closer distance is an immediate tangible benefit.

Both San Ramon and Pleasanton have shown good pricing resilience as compared to other East Bay Area cities, as demonstrated in these two 3-year Market Analysis Reports:

Pleasanton also has the lowest percentage of Pending "distressed" property sales in the Easy Bay at 44%. From a comprehensive perspective, I believe you would be very pleased with selecting Pleasanton as you new home.

One exercise I would highly suggest you perform is a "needs assessment" to get a feel for current pricing of homes that fit your needs. I'm not a fan of Median/Average pricing statistics, unless they represent an "apples-to-apples" comparison (all 3bed/2bath/1800-2400square feet in a bounded search area, for example). A buyer should look specifically at the targeted segment of properties that match their search criteria for the information to be meaningful. A Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) gives you the best representation of market price/activity/trend direction - for the specific property details you search on.

If you are looking for a Pleasanton-based MLS search source that is icon/map-based with easy to use controls contact me offline via email and I'll send you the link. I can also set up an automated "search agent" for you so you get notifications automatically via email as soon as they are made on the MLS. Naturally, I can also perform the CMA for you as well.

Best Regards, Steve
Hi SK,
All of the advise below is very valuable. I would suggest staying away from Windemere due to their high property taxes. The best option is to choose one or interview a couple of us to see whom you feel most comfortable working with. We can be your eyes and ears in the area.
Suzanne Looker
Hello Sk,

For the money, I'd go with San Ramon over Pleasanton. San Ramon Unified School District is the top-ranked unified district in the state with over 9000 students. There are no "bad" schools. SRVUSD elementary schools are consistently scoring over 900 points on API.

San Ramon is working toward developing a city center. The plans are in place. No, it won't have the historical "old town" feel, but it IS coming.

If you've got the downpayment and credit line to cover stepping up into the next bracket, there's an area in southern Plesanton with newer, larger homes that has just seen some significant softening in price. All the homes were $1,000,000 plus, and a listing just came on at $950,000. The others have had price reductions. Most of these are vacant, potentially signifying opportunity. Yet, a similar home can be had in San Ramon/Windemere for $100,000 less.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. If you are not currently working with a strong buyer's agent , please call (925) 407-7987 so that I may help you find the home you want and need, be it in Pleasanton or San Ramon.

Kindest Regards,
Vickie Nagy
Realtor® - ABR, CRS, e-PRO, GRI, SRES
CA License# 01363932
(925) 407-7987 cell
Empire Realty Associates, 380 Diablo Rd, Danville, CA 94526
Web Reference: http://VickieSellsHomes.com

Both are wonderful communities with much to offer. Both have good schools and great communities. Personal opinion, I believe Pleasanton will fare better in the next couple of years in retaining its’ values. The Windemere development in San Ramon has been hit hard and I don’t anticipate any relief in the near future.

While San Ramon has many wonderful areas, Pleasanton has its’ historical downtown section which, again in my opinion, sets it apart from San Ramon.

Pleasanton has older, establish neighborhoods and fewer new developments than does San Ramon.

If commute is an issue, Pleasanton is the way to go. If you want an awesome deal on a newer home and don’t mind (1) additional property taxes and (2) no guarantee you’ll get into the school of your choice, San Ramon is the way to go.

If you need additional help, my office is in Pleasanton and I service the entire 680 corridor.
Web Reference: http://www.carlmedford.com